Need battery help

Spare_Parts

Local time
10:16 AM
So it's about time to put some lights on the bike. I have the headlights and going to order a tail light this Friday. They are all 12v. Have no idea how to test current draw from them or how to pick a battery pack. Have a multi meter and power source. Can someone help me out with testing?

I would like the charger built into the pack if at all possible.

if you go with LED lighting, they have very very low current draw and last almost forever. each one would need 470K ohm resistors unless they are already wired for 12v. the headlight is the main draw, my 20W LED would draw about 900mAh, so I make my battery packs abt 4 - 6 Ah incase I would ever ride for 4 or 5 hours.
I went with 4 LiPos, regulated to 12v for next bike. I'll can get some pics as I make another. only thing diff is for charging, you need a balance connector.
putting a charger in the battery box makes it way bigger, but maybe you could mount the charger on the bike.
I have a 12v 2.3Ah SLA battery box with 3A fuse I used first, and just wired everything it was simple and cheap, but lead batteries are heavy!

20180813_112420.jpg

the first I ever did was a squarish 7.5Ah SLA and nice size but it weighed 5.5 lbs :( that's why I went with min capacity I knew I'd use this summer

I think most of the CREE or COB led headlights draw less then 1.5A unless you have some killer beam setup

Well I was waiting for the new led taillight to come in but thats coming from China. Tested with the one I have.

Headlights and taillight are 3.15 amps combined.

2 hour minimum run time is needed but would like at least 5 hours. Was looking a 18650 cells because I have a flashlight that takes them. Also looked into pcb boards but thats when it was too much for me lol. I can solder on boards so running leads to the battery pack is no big deal.

Back