Need chain HELP do I have the wrong one

ToxicAZ520

Local time
12:17 PM
My chain keeps falling off when I am riding and with the stupid coaster brake then I have no brake. I have one kmc don't kno if it is a 415 but looks the same size as the reg one. When I look at chain on the sproket it is not in the center of the links all the way around and the chain it self isn't flush all the way around. Also when iturn the cranks both chians tighten and loosen while going around. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Hopeing it is simple.

Ya but would the chain tensioners cause the chain to tighten and loosen. Cuase if I tighten it when it is at its loosest point then its too tight at the tight point

Your sprocket is not centered to the hub. Take the wheel off the bike and place it where it's horizontal like between 2 chairs so you can look down on the wheel and see to center the sprocket. You will have to loosen the rag joint but that's the only way to fix that. The hole in the sprocket needs to be centered with the hub. Try to tighten the bolts as evenly as possible as that controls weither the sprocket, even though it's now lined up with the hub, wobbles so it needs to line up with the rim as evenly as you can, too.

These rag joint sprockets aren't all that good so you have to be careful setting them up:mad:

There is a kit that you can buy that clamps around the hub of the rear wheel.
It is a great upgrade that will eliminate the issue that you are having.

I agree with animal, the hub adapter is the way to go though there's the Spooky Tooth Pinapple adapter. It is machined aluminum that also clamps to the spokes but with grooves machined into the aluminum for the spokes and only $35. Problem is Spooky Tooth is for sale and the owner has shut down sales until it does sell:cry: I waited too long to get one now I have to hope someone or one of the other bike companies buys them for their product line. My biggest problem with the hub adapters is a lack of gears to choose from, very limited selection. The Pineapple uses standard sprockets and the stock bolts. That's one place it might be a good idea to upgrade the bolts and nuts.

I hope someone puts one up for sale or a buyer for Spooky Tooth starts it back up again, they have real good product:helmet:

Thanks a lot guys. I was looking at the sporket and it does wobble a bit. I was also looking at the pinapple adapter last night while waiting for replies to help out. But I didnt even notice that you couldn't buy one. I saw another one online last night but it has pins in it to make it free but dont trust it. I did however order a kmc 415 industrial chain cause the one that came with the bike is only a kmc 9f-4 and doesnt look like it lines up with the sproket teeth right. On a good note I just got my new ADA Racing air filter from SBC today and it looks great plus alows the bike to wind out more at WOT. Mostly just wanted it to breath better so no 4strokin at cruise got it tuned pretty good now.Most important it there any way to make the bike easier to roll it slows it self down with clutch in going down hill unless it is big?

Back