Need help adding brakes and make this huffy safe

digital_life

Local time
6:52 AM
I just got this huffy Canadiana, I know I can get the motor on although the carb is going to sit on a bit of a angle I am sure it should work fine.

The pictures below are the way I got it, The guy put a motor on and did not tighten the chain tensioner properly and it went int the rear wheel spokes and ruined the tire completely.
PXL_20230509_170356073.jpg
PXL_20230509_170406326.jpg
PXL_20230509_170413794.jpg
PXL_20230509_170420875.jpg
PXL_20230509_170717003.jpg
PXL_20230509_170929936.jpg
PXL_20230509_170947572.jpg

What I actually need I think is some V-brakes for the front and back, I found these at canadian tire not sure if they will fit

2023-05-09_170602.png

What do you guy's think, I got the feeling most of you will say get some disk brakes but I don't think there is any way to hook them up without welding and fiddling around since I did not see a way to bolt them on.

I also read some old posts to remove the heavy metal fenders and replace with either some plastic ones or don't use any at all.
I am on a very low budget i'm on disability right now and money is tight

I looked at the brake issue on my old Murray. You may be able to mount the caliper brakes in the holes where the fenders
are mounted presently. I looked at some Sunlite calipers that were recommended by someone here, but haven't done anything to follow up.

Dis brakes are the best, but on a budget those brakes you found are the best route. You'll need to get a dual pull brake lever. Or you could buy a fork for a mountain bike and use the v brakes
Ya I built a bike last year and used the dual pull brake lever and so far I am happy with it.
I looked at the brake issue on my old Murray. You may be able to mount the caliper brakes in the holes where the fenders
are mounted presently. I looked at some Sunlite calipers that were recommended by someone here, but haven't done anything to follow up.
Thanks for the idea I will probably look and see if the the ancient disk brake I have in my junk box works and fit on the front, I also have a old front fork lying around but have no idea if will fit but with my luck I doubt it.

Ya I built a bike last year and used the dual pull brake lever and so far I am happy with it.

Thanks for the idea I will probably look and see if the the ancient disk brake I have in my junk box works and fit on the front, I also have a old front fork lying around but have no idea if will fit but with my luck I doubt it.
I bet you can mount a caliper in the front hole without tearing the thing apart. Whether the fender can also mount (with proper bracing) is another issue. See link https://motoredbikes.com/threads/old-murray-cruiser.62339/page-3

I use Long caliper brakes like that with a dual brake lever on my Huffy. They do me fine dialed in properly. I went through my front set in one year. and will probably change both front and rear out at the end of this summer.

Dear Sir-I used inexpensive caliper brakes on my first build and used two brake lever assemblies. Worked great while using the coaster brake and engine compression simultaneously:)-Gearhead437

Worked great while using the coaster brake and engine compression simultaneously:)-Gearhead437
I hope you don't mean using the engine as part of the braking that your doing on a 2 stroke motor...That will severely shorten the life of a 2 stroker as they were never designed for "engine braking".

Back