Need Help AGAIN HURRY

inspectorcritic

Local time
12:43 AM
Busted 4 out of 6 bolts on my magnum rim for the drive gear tried drilling them out tap the easy out in real hard to turn & snap tool broke inside the hole again.

I'm thinking of drilling real close to the edge then tapping out the debrie with a M 5.8 tap hope it might work what size drill should I get.

What size drill should I get if this plan fails and need to drill and tap for a M 6?

Take the rim to ace hardware with you and hopefully someone there can guide you correctly. W/o knowing the exact sizes folks are just guessing here. Did you use a 6 POINT socket to undo the bolts? If not always use a six sided wrench/socket on a 6 sided head bolt. Also make sure it's the correct size tool your using, snug fit, no loosy goosy at all!

Okay found a chart for drill & tap now where in the hell can I find such exact size drill bits without spend a fortune to buy a complete set of a hundred drill bits?

I'm think of Monday on calling up a couple automotive places see if they can drill & tap a drill press is essential on such precise work.

On the other hand a way by pass the s**t is to take the rag joint steel brackets take the sprocket off take some about 4" bolts run them all the way through to the other side I probably have space compliance for only half of the 9 rag holes but it would still secure the drive gear and I don't half to cry throwing away $175.00 Mag rims. What do you think?
IMG_20190323_120729151.jpg

Well if you can have someone drill new holes you could just leave the broken bolts alone and start new. You might be able to buy a tap with the correct drill at the hardware store. You can get some sizes that way just not sure if you can get 5mm that way from a store. Maybe Jeff Besos can help you out.

Well if you can have someone drill new holes you could just leave the broken bolts alone and start new. You might be able to buy a tap with the correct drill at the hardware store. You can get some sizes that way just not sure if you can get 5mm that way from a store. Maybe Jeff Besos can help you out.
Ya that's what a REI guy said.

IMG_20190326_164700251.jpg
IMG_20190326_164652344.jpg
IMG_20190326_164644105.jpg
Got it done bypass the 6 sherd off M 5.8 bolts went through the rag holes 6 of with M 6 bolts 70 mm long using fender washer 1 1/5 x 1/4 thinks gonna work.

There's a ton of corrosion on the parts of that wheel. I suspect you ride in an area that salts their roads in Winter?

Next time you build a new mag wheel you might strongly considering slathering some Bostick Never-Seez on the sprocket bolts..

shopping

There's a ton of corrosion on the parts of that wheel. I suspect you ride in an area that salts their roads in Winter?

Next time you build a new mag wheel you might strongly considering slathering some Bostick Never-Seez on the sprocket bolts..

shopping
That's Salt Lake City, Zootah used cars have very little resale money cuz salt corrods everything but I clean the grime build up on the bicycle sprocket part heavy dirt wedge.

Back