Need help choosing a Freewheel

5-7, An elderly man purchased a new Champion 6250 Watt inverter generator and now realizes his health does not allow him the strength to start it. I looked into a starter and flywheel W/gear from Champion but they are not available, Hence, my project. My first thought is to use an existing 12v starter motor and connect it to the flywheel via a chain drive with a flanged freewheel. There are probably some pitfalls so I post this so people with experience can point out where the issues are. I have room to mount a starter, I have skills and access to a lathe, a mill, a welder and other precision tools. Questions I have: Can a freewheel survive hours of running in the freewheel position? I know there is no load but I assume there is a little mechanical contact. Can I reverse the polarity in a starter motor so it rotates clockwise (I think most small engine starters rotate CCW)?

Attachments

• champion.pdf
    185.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Champion pic.jpg
    Champion pic.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 158
I've got a cheap, easy solution.

Remove the pull start.
There should be an M14 nut, securing the flywheel to the crank.
Find a socket to fit that nut.
Now find a socket extension that'll fit a 3/8" or 1/2" drive electric drill.
Next, but a ratchet adaptor, to go between the socket and extension.
Plug in the drill, attach to flywheel and spin it!!
The engine/generator should start right up!!

You MUST have that ratchet adaptor.

When the generator starts, the adaptor will keep the engine from overspinning the nut and loosening it up.

The whole project should just cost you the price of the $15 ratchet adaptor.

Good luck

I've got a cheap, easy solution.

Remove the pull start.
There should be an M14 nut, securing the flywheel to the crank.
Find a socket to fit that nut.
Now find a socket extension that'll fit a 3/8" or 1/2" drive electric drill.
Next, but a ratchet adaptor, to go between the socket and extension.
Plug in the drill, attach to flywheel and spin it!!
The engine/generator should start right up!!

You MUST have that ratchet adaptor.

When the generator starts, the adaptor will keep the engine from overspinning the nut and loosening it up.

The whole project should just cost you the price of the $15 ratchet adaptor.

Good luck
Better make it a cordless drill, just incase the power is out already.

Better make it a cordless drill, just incase the power is out already.
I've give that some thought and may eventually go that route. The gen is anchored in the garage and exhausted through the wall. This would mean "Bart" (80 years old now with heart condition) would have to get on his knees and hold on to a torqueing drill motor. At first he was confused by the on/off switch and the choke blew him away so I need to keep it simple (I almost said idiot proof). My vision is, an ignition switch out of a lawn tractor that would immolate his old truck start procedure. He could walk into the garage, turn on ignition switch on which would turn on an overhead 12 volt light and put the engine in run position. Then he could crank it and push and pull the choke to his heart desires until it fires. Bart is E.D. of a nonprofit that provides a makerspace for Detroit inner-city youth. If I can work out the details it will be used as an educational experience. We've built one motorized bike and plan for a second one soon.

I know ya want to help because you know you can rig it somehow to work.
Please advise him to buy a generator with a electric start and return or sell the one he bought.
Your gonna void the warranty if ya rig it Guys like this Elderly Gentleman don't want or need equipment that's not OEM stock.
You don't want him confused if something happens to the way you rigged it.

The inverter generator has a unique flywheel. The generator windings are under the extra wide flywheel and the flywheel is loaded with magnets. There is no output shaft on the engine and no separate generator. Its all contained in the flywheel area.

Wow!

I looked at your drawings.

It looks like something I'm building.....

a drive system, running off the flywheel.

My first option was a go-kart hub, supporting a 1" shaft.

It'd bolt onto the flywheel, which would be machined for a perfect surface that is perpendicular to the shaft.

My shaft would support a centrifugal clutch.
It could possibly hold a sprocket and freewheel.
It then belts to a timing pulley on a parallel shaft.

Last edited:
5-7, An elderly man purchased a new Champion 6250 Watt inverter generator and now realizes his health does not allow him the strength to start it. I looked into a starter and flywheel W/gear from Champion but they are not available, Hence, my project. My first thought is to use an existing 12v starter motor and connect it to the flywheel via a chain drive with a flanged freewheel. There are probably some pitfalls so I post this so people with experience can point out where the issues are. I have room to mount a starter, I have skills and access to a lathe, a mill, a welder and other precision tools. Questions I have: Can a freewheel survive hours of running in the freewheel position? I know there is no load but I assume there is a little mechanical contact. Can I reverse the polarity in a starter motor so it rotates clockwise (I think most small engine starters rotate CCW)?
Like wrench stated, it might be simpler to return that generator and buy this:

CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT DH 8750-Watt Electric Start Gasoline Powered Open Frame Inverter Generator with 420 cc Engine-100520 - The Home Depot

Back