Need help dianosing an engine problem

rsspok

Local time
6:34 AM
I have an 2008 Whizzer NE. 35 original miles. the engine just lost power all of a sudden. Now when I start it, alls it does is pop pop pop, with no RPM increase, and the throttle has to be wide open. It will continue to do this as long as the throttles held open. I'm not shur where to start.

Rich

Check the valve tappet clearances. 0.008" gap for the exhaust (toward exhaust pipe side) and 0.006" gap for the intake. Sounds like a lifter is way out of adjustment. Probably loose from the factory. Here is a detailed description on how to do the adjustment. This thread is on how to replace the lifters but it describes how to adjust them after installation. Let us know how you make out.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=17577

Jim

Last edited:
still not running correctly

OK, Ive adjusted the exhaust clearance from .011 to .008 and the intake from .010 to .006. Bike is still doing the same thing. I did notice the bike will only run with the petcock Handel pointing toward the back of the bike. That used to be the off position. and does nothing when pointed down, or pointing forward,which used to be run position. I also noticed blow-by on the left side of the head gasket. Help please

Rich

Okay Rich we will get you through this. I don't know how much mechanical ability you have so if I suggest something you don't understand please let us know. I don't want to overwhelm you. These things take a little work to make them right but it is worth it in the end.
Next take a look at the carb. The float may be stuck. The fact that it will only run with the petcock closed almost all the way is why I think this may be the cause. Sometimes a good tap on the carb with the plastic handle of a screw driver will knock it free. However if the float has a hole in it this will not help. These carbs are pretty simple so if you take it off the engine just take a couple pictures as you take it apart so you will be able to see how it goes back together. A good carb cleaning can never hurt. Also make sure the head is torqued drown correctly. Here is a link to the torque specs. Please note these are in inch pounds not foot pounds.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=11095
Give it a try and let us know how you make out please.

Jim

Last edited:
Well I tore down the carb this mourning, everything looked fine, except for the "jet" laying in the fuel bowl.The bike is running better than ever now. Thanks so much for the help. The only concern I have is a couple of backfires, I'm going to try and figure out if the Ail/Fuel mixture is too lean.The bike now has 37mi. on it. thanks again!

Rich

Glad to hear that it is running good now. Keep an eye on the exhaust pipe where it comes out of the engine. If it discolors quickly you have a lean condition. A dark blue color says that it is running way too hot and lean so adjustments will need to be made then.

Jim

Back