Need Help, engine is dead

ElMicNip

Local time
1:11 PM
Hello, let me start off by explaining; I started getting a intermittent squeak around the clutch area a couple of days ago. I haven't had time to investigate because of finals. Last night on my way home from work my engine started making a metal to metal screeching sound and my engine died, couldn't start it up again. I proceeded to pedaled home. This morning I took off clutch actuator cover and squirted some grease in bearing hole. Is it possible to put too much grease? Oh, and before I greased I tried to start it again and it started for a bit. Now after the greasing it wont even turn over. No combustion. When I'm pedaling and release clutch lever it just stops the bike. I could really use some help. Many thanks. And if you live in or near the 'couve I'll buy you a beer.:cry:
Jeff "ElMicNip"

I know very little about motors, but I know they need four things to work... Spark, fuel, air, and pressure... I would make sure that when you added grease, you didn't gum up the spark plugs, carb, or fuel lines... That would be my first bit of tinkering

again, I am very novice in this area, its just what makes sense to me to try and do first. Good Luck, and I'm sure someone else can help you more then I can.

so you are saying that the motor will NOT turn over at all? if you roll the bike and let the clutch out, does the back wheel lock up ?
pull the spark plug out and see if the piston is going up & down while pushing the bike with the clutch out. if the piston doesn't move, and the back wheel locks up...then the motor may be seized up. you could have a bad bearing on the crankshaft or on the connecting rod.
If it was a problem with the clutch, the back wheel would still turn after you left the clutch out, but the piston wouldn't go up & down...because the clutch would be slipping really bad.
if you were hearing a metal to metal sound, it's possible that you burned up a bearing.
what gas/oil ratio are you running in it ? (it is a 2 stroke right?).
when you say that it won't turn over....usually an engine turning over is the piston not going up & down (combustion or not). combustion is when the engine is actually running. so it is possible for a motor to turn over and still not run.
if your rear wheel still turns but the piston isn't going up & down when you are trying to start the engine, it's possible that you have a clutch issue. possibly the clutch pads are gone. The metal to metal sound could have been the flywheel rubbing the pressure plate. IF that's the case i'm pretty sure that the clutch would not work at all. as far as i know, the clutch uses rubber pads as the friction material to make the connection with the motor.
it's possible that the flywheel and pressure plate are rubbing and that's where you are hearing the metal to metal sound. i'm pretty sure that the rubber clutch pads are what makes contact between the 2, to make the bike move.
i am not positive on this tho because i haven't had one of these clutches apart yet.

Last edited:
okay, I removed the spark plug(its black)(can i use a wire brush to clean it) I the stuck a pencil in the hole(i couldn't see into it) and there was no up or down travel on the pencil(I walked it about 20 feet). Oh, my motor is 2-stroke 60cc my fuel is about 20:1. Does clutch out mean squeezing handle(=disengage?) or releasing handle(=engaged?) I tried the piston trick with the handle depressed.:rolleyes:

if your piston doesn't move up and down with the clutch lever RELEASED (engaged) then it is very likely your engine has seized for any number of reasons (not enough oil, air leak, bad bearings, piece of dirt, etc.).

it is probably your clutch if the back wheel simply doesn't move, clutch lever in or out.

with the clutch lever realeased (out) and you push the bike.....does the rear wheel roll with resistance or does it not roll at all ?
If the rear wheel is rolling with some resistance, it may just be that the clutch is slipping bad. If the rear wheel locks up, then it is very possible that your engine is seized.
with the clutch handle released, spark plug out, pushing the bike, and presuming that the rear wheel is rolling with resistance, the piston SHOULD go up & down (you will be able to hear it as it moves up & down in the cylinder). the rear wheel rolling with resistance can be a good thing with the clutch out because it means that the rear wheel is turning the motor over.
but you said that you rolled it 20 feet and your pencil did not move at all. was the rear wheel turning while you were pushing it? (with the clutch handle released (out) ).
really, if the motor is locked, the rear wheel will not roll at all with the clutch handle released (out). if the clutch is bad, i'm pretty sure that the rear wheel will still roll. the clutch pads would not be making contact with the pressure plate, and not turning the motor over (no piston going up & down no matter what.)

if the clutch is bad, i'm pretty sure that the rear wheel will still roll. the clutch pads would not be making contact with the pressure plate, and not turning the motor over (no piston going up & down no matter what.)

Well if the bearings between the inner wheel (the one with posts for the clutch plate) and the big wheel (gear with pads) have self destructed, then the wheel would be pushing the piston whether the the lever is engaged or not

Am i right in this diagnosis?

i don't really know but going from experience with clutches in semi trucks and cars....
if the clutch friction material is gone, the car or truck will move (with the engine running) with the clutch pedal in or out. in a car or truck, the clutch "breaks torque" with the engine...in other words, when you push the clutch pedal in, it "breaks" the connection between the engine and the transmission so you can shift gears. i think these clutches work on the same priciple and instead of using an asbestos material for the friction material, they just use rubber pads. I THINK.
i think you are right in your thinking...that if those bearings are gone, then the engine would be turning over all the time no matter where the clutch handle is. but usually if a bearing is gone...they just lock up instead of rolling like they are supposed to.
so when you push the bike is the back wheel rolling?
if the clutch is slipping, the back wheel will still roll, but the piston will not go up & down.

We won't know anything until you take a walk with the bike with your hand off the clutch and plug out. pencil's a good idea- just hands off the clutch just like if you were riding with the engine.

Back