Carby Need help finding new carb. what isn't junk? please help.

Local time
11:56 AM
I've finally been able to put a bit of money aside for a better carb. Something in the $40-60 range all parts needed included. (choke,throttle cable, etc) First it seemed people were recommending the SHA 15 clone. Then it looked like people didn't like that it wasn't adjustable aside from the main jet and was hard to fix if it didn't work well out of the box. They would say to get the CNS carb. Then others would say the CNS is crap, the adjustments you can make on it (main jet aside) don't have any significant effect. and the newer ones don't even have an air/fuel mix screw (would love to see what the differences are in the V1,2 and 3 cans carbs)

Jaguar recommends a Mikuni that is $85 just for the carb (no filter or anything) which is simply out of my range.

I would really love some clear cut advice. Many people here are very knowledgable. I tend to have a lot of air/fuel mix problems. I'd like to have as much ability to adjust this as possible.

Environment:
  • Tends to run rich with current NT carb no matter what i do (minus changing main jet)
  • Running a 40:1 oil ratio
  • No other mods at this point
  • Running at just about sea level (give or take a couple hundred feet max)

Requirements:
  • New carb with more adjustability
  • Would like to know what size jets to get and what sizes I'll likely need to experiment with
  • $40-60 range (or as close as possible)
  • Mainly looking for reliable 20-30mph operation. Not super speed. I need reliability > speed.

I was thinking about getting a CNS carb, better air filter, and offset intake so it will fit.

Thank you all for taking the time to read through this mess of a problem and taking the time to give your opinions.

Last edited:
No s**t. My kit came with the Delorto clone, and that one works okay, but won't run below 2000 or 3000rpm. It doesn't stall, or anything, it just screams all the time, and there is nothing I can do about it. So I bought another one, this one idles great, but sputters and stalls, and tries to rip the drivetrain to bits when the throttle is open. What junk.

I like the original NT clone with the chinese chars on the side of the slide tube - never had to re-jet one.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I'm going to like the NT carb within a certain power range.

It's to simple to be difficult to make work.

I'll find out soon enough

I'm seriously considering doing a squishy bulb mod, or trying to, anyway. I had great results with the 15mm rotary valve squishy on previous projects.

AH HAH! Okay, I've got these two delorto clones, the bogger, and the screamer, that just won't idle. I noticed looking at it through the intake, that there is a small hole with a brass tube or jet of some kind in it on the bogger, while the screamer has an empty hole. That must explain something, but I guess I have to field strip one to determine what that does and what to do about it.

Alright, this allows air into the emulsion tube. The brass insert looked like someone beat the hell out of it putting it in, so I got into it with the dremmel tool. In the process, it came out. So now I guess I take a guess at which one I should put it back in, I guess the other one, then try them both? Well I guess that's what I have to do......

Last edited:
Back