Need help in Florida

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by sexwaxsurfer15, Nov 6, 2008.

  1. I have this one cop that has stopped me twice now and is a total a-hole. Anyway I went to the DMV to register it and I need a VIN # and a certificate of purchase. I have none of these. I searched this site but found nothing useful. Does anyone have any ideas for me? The Florida laws are confusing. Thanks

  2. Mountainman

    Mountainman Active Member

    well let's see

    vin no -- either bicycle ser no or engine no

    bill of sale -- sounds like you need one

    have someone make one up for you -- if everything is up and up

    ride that thing
  3. We rode north of Clearwater then south all the way to
    St Pete's beach, 240 miles up and down the beach front highway and also in the towns for three days. We saw all kinds of cops and they gave us thumbs up.

    I'd go to the cops supervisior and report his attitude.

    Also in Tennessee we have rode 970 miles and that is after we added the speedometer and never had any issues what so ever with the law. Mostly they smile and wave and give a thumbs up here also as well as they did in Florida.

    Spoke to a few that are interested about purchasing a bike from us.
    Everyone we talk to or deal with all think they are pretty cool
  4. He said the next time he sees me hes going to give me a criminal citation and the next time after that he will arrest me! I am white with dreads and he seems to be prejudice?! Can I make up a VIN number or are they linked to a central system in some way? Can I go to the junk yard, find a moped and take the number off of that?
  5. Mountainman

    Mountainman Active Member

    here in Calif for the ven no we use the bicycle ser no

    and they also ask for a engine no
    my engine had one stamped
    if yours does not -- stamp one in 5 numbers

    you can buy a cheap number stam set at Harbor Freight

    ride that thing
  6. Where do I find the bike serial number(its like an old 70's Schwinn? Also what do I do to make a bill of sale?
  7. Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  8. Sky High

    Sky High New Member

    I have a friend in Port St. Lucie , Fla. that rides & sells MB`s & he`s never had a problem with the boys in blue... Why don`t you just Google " Moped Laws in Florida ".
  9. I have and you need it to be registered, im going to the junk yard and getting the VIN number off one and forging a bill of sale. Its just one cop, he must be jelous because I always have a huge smile on my face going 30 on a bicycle:)
  10. ZnsaneRyder

    ZnsaneRyder Member

    I'm in FL. Most areas are fine, but when I get pulled, it's always the SAME area!

    They don't allow registration for bicycles, so labeling it as a moped is the only thing that may work to get a tag.

    Avoid the cop, and ride somewhere else! I'll admit, 30 isn't even that fast, but in risky areas, keep it under 30! I have to, and sometimes when pedaling, I always watch my back, because they can pull you while pedaling.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  11. mmelvis

    mmelvis New Member

    State legislators define a moped as a vehicle fitting all of the following criteria:

    Pedals that allow you to propel the vehicle
    A seat for the rider
    Three or fewer wheels
    Motor of two-brake horsepower or less
    Maximum speed of 30 mph on level ground
    Automatic power-drive system
    Displacement of 50 cc or less (for those with an internal combustion engine)
    Mopeds need to be registered at a county tax collector office. The registration fee is $19.10, and you must renew your registration every year. Thankfully, you don’t have to pay the $100 initial registration fee.

    You’ll receive a motorcycle plate for your moped. If you’re under 21 and the registration is in your name, your plate will have a distinctive design and color.

    Moped drivers need to have at least a Class E driver’s license, and be 16 or older to drive a moped on a public road. A motorcycle endorsement isn’t required.

    You will not be allowed to ride your moped on bike or foot paths. All passengers under 16 must wear a helmet.

    Moped drivers aren’t required to carry Personal Injury Protection insurance.

    Be aware that moped drivers have the same rights and responsibilities as other motorists. And, yes, moped drivers can receive traffic tickets, too.

    Here’s number 28 on the list from 320.01 for which the entire page covers nothing but what the state considers to be a motor vehicle and therefore must be registered.

    (28) “Moped” means any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  12. dougsr.874

    dougsr.874 Active Member

    Go to the State of Florida, then look for the Florida Statutes,Title XX111, that defines a motorized this to this cop.
  13. JinbaIttai

    JinbaIttai Member

    Here ya go.

    This is only for electric bikes though.

    The 2008 Florida Statutes

    Title XXIII

    Chapter 316

    316.003 Definitions.--The following words and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this section, except where the context otherwise requires:

    (1) AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLES.--Vehicles of the fire department (fire patrol), police vehicles, and such ambulances and emergency vehicles of municipal departments, public service corporations operated by private corporations, the Department of Environmental Protection, the Department of Health, the Department of Transportation, and the Department of Corrections as are designated or authorized by their respective department or the chief of police of an incorporated city or any sheriff of any of the various counties.

    (2) BICYCLE.--Every vehicle propelled solely by human power, and every motorized bicycle propelled by a combination of human power and an electric helper motor capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on level ground upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels. The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position or a scooter or similar device. No person under the age of 16 may operate or ride upon a motorized bicycle...
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  14. I understand all of this. The one problem is that I have no VIN number. Without this, the DMV is telling me that it cant be done?
  15. Mountainman

    Mountainman Active Member

    good to go -- go

    ok -- there are times when we have to do what we have to do

    maybe have someone ELSE make out a bill of sale for you

    including bicycle serial number - date - signature and selling price

    maybe this is not the THING to do
    but - if we have no bill of sale - we need to do someTHING

    note -- a good THING to do first
    call your local pooolice with the serial number from your bicycle
    tell them that you are just making sure that it wasn't stolen at any time
    then when they say you are good to go -- go

    ride that THING
  16. Mountainman

    Mountainman Active Member

    it's not hard to ride that THING

    as mentioned before

    stamp one in as needed

    if your bicycle has none -- stamp one in

    if your engine has none -- stamp one in

    come on now -- it's not hard to ride that THING
  17. dougsr.874

    dougsr.874 Active Member

    Once again, a motorized bike is NOT a motor vehicle as long as it complies with Title XX111 of the Fl. don't need a vin number, tag, licenses, or insurance...the cop is just WRONG....print out the laws and show it to the cop...he won't like it but....what can he do about it?
  18. JinbaIttai

    JinbaIttai Member

    How is an electric helper motor the same thing as a Honda 50cc?
  19. Esteban

    Esteban Active Member

    All it takes in Fl., where I live also, is a cop with a bad attitude, & he can make it rough on MB riders. If you read the law, " to the letter," as we used to say, many are out there breaking the law, everyday, by riding their MB. This is also true in other states. I have said it before; " Once these forms of transportation become more popular; the more riders going as fast as they can ; the more noise they make ; the more complaints about these ,,, the more you will see the MB regulated,,, if not outlawed in some states & areas."
    The serial # is on the bottom bracket, or rear wheel dropout, for the bike. This will determine year it was made, if that will allow you to register. Also, ask if you can register it as a homemade moped. Many in Fl., have to do that with their trailers, & boats, & it is allowed. GOOD LUCK !
  20. nofearinside

    nofearinside New Member

    Hey bro... where are you at? just in case.... well i live in orlando and since this week i started going to work with mi bike ( love my bike!) but i havnt registered it... what did they do to you when they pull you off for first the time? I am rolling my thing no matter whom it doesnt like it! ive seen cops on my way and they have just laughed... u know... is like everything u have pigs and you have real cops... maybe that one doesnt have anything better to do... but yea where are u at man?