Need help in Florida

saint augustine, the cop said next time he is giving me a CRIMINAL citation. If he catches me after that hes throwing me in jail. This cop is a real *******!.

serial # locations.... Schwinn

Where do I find the bike serial number(its like an old 70's Schwinn?

After 1970, Schwinn serial numbers are on the Headtube.

serialnumber.JPG
link to serial numbers
http://www.bunchobikes.com/serialnumber2.htm

registration can be done, proof its 50cc or less, 2.0 hp or less, 30 mph or less and single speed. DMV can create a vin #. You will meet moped clasifacation.

Attachments

• 07-31-08_1637.jpg
    07-31-08_1637.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 08-06-08_1636.jpg
    08-06-08_1636.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 08-06-08_1651.jpg
    08-06-08_1651.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 219
All it takes in Fl., where I live also, is a cop with a bad attitude, & he can make it rough on MB riders. If you read the law, " to the letter," as we used to say, many are out there breaking the law, everyday, by riding their MB. This is also true in other states. I have said it before; " Once these forms of transportation become more popular; the more riders going as fast as they can ; the more noise they make ; the more complaints about these ,,, the more you will see the MB regulated,,, if not outlawed in some states & areas."
The serial # is on the bottom bracket, or rear wheel dropout, for the bike. This will determine year it was made, if that will allow you to register. Also, ask if you can register it as a homemade moped. Many in Fl., have to do that with their trailers, & boats, & it is allowed. GOOD LUCK !

I agree.

A VIN is supposed to follow a strict definition, containing several sub-groups of characters, each sub-group being a specific field, with a specific meanings (manufacturer, vehicle type, vehicle weight class, engine horsepower class, serial number, etc.)

As kawasaki999 mentions, the DMV should be able to generate a VIN for a custom-built vehicle. Go that route to get a VIN assigned to the bike. You'll need to punch the number into the frame, or to a small metal plate that you can affix to the frame though.

Some cops don't know the laws well, but pretend they do and try to intimidate you. Some believe that anything with a motor regardless of cc's needs license, registration and even turn signals, hahahaha. I've met with a few let me tell you. When you tell them that FL has NO laws concerning what you can have on a bike trailer, it throws them off, hahahaha.

Stay headstrong and be aware of the laws, and defend your MB, because it's not a moped.

im n the process of moving 2 florida n i checked the laws already if im readn it rite they have a law pertaining 2 electric bikes so if i was u i would get a speedo n keep it 20or less never ride the sidewalk unless peddling stop at all stop signs ive even went so far as 2 mount lights with a 12volt motorcycle battery 2 run them its called bn better safe then sorry hopethis helps u out

saint augustine, the cop said next time he is giving me a CRIMINAL citation. If he catches me after that hes throwing me in jail. This cop is a real *******!.

It's not illegal to ride a motorized bike, he has no LEGAL way to put you in jail for that, unless he lies.............which happens a lot

If it was illegal, he would have already given you a criminal citation. Don't let that jerk bully you. Try riding in a different area and ride slow.

Hey Sexwaxsurfer
Just read your situation and since I will be starting a build soon, I went and researched what you need to become legal. You will need to call the DMV office at 386-736-5108, explain that you have a motorized home built bike. You need receipts for all parts and you have to fill out forms #84490 State of Builder and #82040 Title application. Good luck!

P.S. I used to surf Middles alot, love St. Augistine, I'm down here in Daytona(Prince of Ponce Inlet)

Back