Need help making a rim into a pulley

Norswede

Local time
10:07 AM
I need some help. This forum is GREAT and I think someone here can help. I'm making moving art from an old 10 speed bike, and want to use the rear rim (kept in place, but without tire or tube, as a driven pulley that's driven by an electric motor. Will a standard V-belt work? If not, what would? Will the spoke/spoke nuts destroy the belt? how to protect it:? Just starting out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If your planning not to use the rim to make any power and just want to spin it for ART reasons.
Sure try a v belt, I wouldn't put much tension on it. It's just spinning for looks (ART)

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually, the rear axle is essentially acting as a jackshaft, and will drive the crankset through the original chain, and the pedals will drive other things. So, there will need to be good tension on the belt, as it will be doing a lot of work.

Or get a rag joint and a sprocket, mount the motor somehow and spin spin spin :p

Not sure what a rag joint is.. I'm using the 26" wheel in order to slow the RPMs down a lot. I need less than 30 RPM at the crank.

Rag joint:

To clarify: I'm driving the rear rim, without tire or tube, with an electric motor. probably 1/2 to 1 HP Motor. Rear hub, sprocket are essentially a jack shaft. All the motor's torque will drive the chain and crank and pedals, which will then drive a reciprocating art thingy. I'll need a good bit of tension on whatever belt I use. Thanks for all the great replies. I'm just starting out here and pretty ignorant of what's available.

Back