need help on choosing a bike to put motor on

ak47bulldog

Local time
1:54 AM
Hi. my name is Andy. I am going to start a new build but have a few questions and would appriciate any help. I bought a motor from dax and was going to buy a bike for it but I was told by a friend that I can only stick a motor on certain cruiser style bikes because he said I cant put it on a bike with a coaster brake because it wont work. any cheap bike suggestions??? I dont want to spend any more than $150. I only want to buy new unless i can find a used stretched out beach cruiser. because of location I can only order bikes. or order them and have them sent to store such as walmart. I live in cincinnati ohio...

Hi. my name is Andy. I am going to start a new build but have a few questions and would appriciate any help. I bought a motor from dax and was going to buy a bike for it but I was told by a friend that I can only stick a motor on certain cruiser style bikes because he said I cant put it on a bike with a coaster brake because it wont work. any cheap bike suggestions??? I dont want to spend any more than $150. I only want to buy new unless i can find a used stretched out beach cruiser. because of location I can only order bikes. or order them and have them sent to store such as walmart. I live in cincinnati ohio...

Hi, your friend is incorrect about the coaster brake.Maybe not the best brakes..but it will work.What type of motor did you get?

Motomagz

Coaster brakes as the only brake on your bike is dangerous because they will eventually fail when breaking from high speeds...speeds higher than normal pedaling can accomplish.

Hi Andy

My advise may or may not be taken, depending if you find my views valuable.

1) Give yourself a good level of saftey when buying a bike - It is absolutely nescessary to make sure your bike has disk brakes, with a good mechanical setup (Avid BB7 caliper and and an 8 inch front disk rotor, using the standard sized rear disc and caliper that comes with the bike). You simply do not have any other safe and cost effective option.
Convential rim brakes are totally useless in the wet and if you hit a hard object, at the moment when you need to perform a sudden stop, your rim may very well buckle, which means you no longer have a controllable braking system.
By far this is the most over riding point i can stress - a reliable and powerful and consistant braking system is the most critical aspect of your purchase decision.

2) Don't buy a bike that has anything else other than round frame tubes - it makes engine installation a straight forward process.

3) If possible, buy a bike with a steel frame, but if not possible, buy a bike with a quality aluminium frame.

4) Never drill any holes in the bike frame when fitting the engine - there's more than enough stories of frames cracking at the fatigue point where the hole was drilled.

5) This is only an option, though a necessary option - get yourself a SickBikeParts Shift Kit as a single speed system is a waste of time.

Fabian

Last edited:
Hi. my name is Andy. I am going to start a new build but have a few questions and would appreciate any help. I bought a motor from Dax and was going to buy a bike for it but I was told by a friend that I can only stick a motor on certain cruiser style bikes because he said I can't put it on a bike with a coaster brake because of it won't work. any cheap bike suggestions??? I don't want to spend any more than $150. I only want to buy new unless I can find a used stretched out beach cruiser. because of the location, I can only order bikes. or order them and have them sent to store such as Walmart. I live in Cincinnati Ohio...

Back