Need help picking a new bike for a 70cc

Meer123

Local time
12:17 PM
Greetings and happy holidays.

I have two motorized bikes - one is a well-worn 48cc mounted on 10 year old green "Free Spirit" (Sears I believe) mountain bike. My more recent project is a 70cc (aka 67.3) mounted on a much cooler (but similarly old) steel framed all black mountain bike with a smooth front tire. Both are reliable and quick (or quick enough for me) - the green one with the 48cc motor routinely crusies with my 240lbs on it at 30mph and my newer one with the 70cc & a 50tooth sprocket might be even stronger in both acceleration (and surprisingly) top speed - neither has had any problems that some fine tuning has not been able to rectify.

I am writing about my one and only complaint - both of my bikes are way too big for. The old green one is too tall and needs to be leaned way over for me to put my feet down during the ount and dismount as well as at stop lights and the more recent black one is WAY too big - way bigger then the green one... I would "rack myself" if I attempted to my inseam to the tup tube of either bike so I almost have to get off of them when I'm not moving.

I suppose some measuring would have saved me some grief but since I'm on these boards - perhaps your opinions can save me the trouble.

I am planning to move my 70cc set-up to a bike more sutably sized. I used to have both a 17 and a 19 (inch) Giant mountain bikes and both were perfectly sized for my 5'9 frame (30 inch inseam) but I didn't use those bikes for the motors because of two reasons. These newer bikes have very radical frame designs that cramp the inside space of the "triangle" that would be occupied by the motor and the the tubes themselves are of odd and varied shapes and sizes and the front mount is not designed to accommodate these oversized oval tubes and I didn't care to cut or drill so I found older steel bikes of more traditional tube diameters and traditional geometry.

Here's my question:

What brands and models of new bikes do you recommend based on experience ? Are there bikes (recent/current) that are more suitable for these projects - a specific mountain bike or hybrid or city bike I should look for ? I have 2 very young kids and I do not have the time I had in the past to spend at yard sales to rummage through - I'd prefer to be armed with a list of recent or new bikes that will work - with frames that have enough room and tubes that do not require cutting or drilling.and the oipinions of everyone on motoredbikes.com would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Al aka Meer123

PS - and if after all is said and done - the logical choice is the obvious cruiser style such as those Green Lines sold by SPOOKY - the let me know and that's the route I'll take.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know your buget but if you want comfort I would go with the Electra Townie 21

Attachments

• townie 21.jpg
    townie 21.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,053
Electra Townie 21

Thanks for suggesting the Electra Townie 21 - it has beautiful lines and looks like it has both character and comfort going for it plus it looks like real quality next to some of the oddball cruisers I've seen. I'll assume it gets high praise from you because you have one or have experience with one and the typical Chinese 2 stroke motor works well with it and requires no drilling ? It "coming together" well is a big part of this ...

About price point - this is definitely pushing it. Not to suggest that it isnt worth the $399.99 that Bikes USA wants for it but nobody wants to spend more then they have to. Lets see if other options come up on this thread but if nothing else is said - looks like I have something to consider in this Electra Townie 21.

Thanks again ...

If you don't mind drilling a hole in a frame, then Schwinn Skyliner or Schwinn Searcher are perfect for folks who are 5'7" tall (my height). Don't be afraid of drilling a hole, it won't hurt a thing provided you paint and protect the edges from the elements.

i have drilled some installs...some make it, some don't...it's all about the frame's original integrity.

however...you should be at least afraid enough to consider options before drilling.

Back