Need help please with the chain issue

JVROOM

Local time
8:29 AM
Hi, I'm a newbie,

I'm been working on this bike for months, motorizing an old Schwinn Phantom. Had trouble with the chain derailing, and did damage. The got a new motor, and a sprocket drive from piston maniac parts. So things are working okay, and I got the chain tightened correctly with tensioner etc., about a quarter of an inch of clearance between chain and tire, but the chain is banging the whitewall and leaving grease marks. I think this is happening when the bike is starting, but don't know. Have a wide rear chrome rim, thinking about maybe I should change that, these are never real true. Also thinking about pulling the drive sprocket, on the motor and shimming it out a bit? Any thoughts. Please I need help

There is not a lot you can do to stop the white wall from getting dirty, mine gets oily every time I ride it. I like the look of the white walls so I figure having to clean them is the price I have to pay. My other bike has black walls so nothing shows on the tire.

I don't know maybe you're right, but I'm getting heavy black marks on the white wall, about every 2 inches or so, looks like chains popping back and forth? I know these wide chrome rims are not true that's what I was thinking about switching to an alloy rim? Also thought about pulling the motor drive gearing shimming it out little bit more clearance? Thank you for your replies, John

Okay, don't know if my replies going through or not? But I have trued wheel is much as possible. Took it to a bike shop first, but I think I got it better on the bike. But still having this problem, don't know what to do? Thank you for your replies, John

Back