need help replacing throttle cable

artmaker

Local time
5:58 AM
I hope someone is on here. Need help ASAP.

I dropped my bike, broke the hand brake off the clutch brake thing I have.

Got a new on today from ebay, trying to install it and ran into a problem.

Please see the attached image, not sure what this is called.
That spring arm thing that puts the motor in gear?
I could swear that was swung OUT and pulling the cable would put the bike in neutral, and that arm would be flat or in line with the motor, as in the picture.
Put the bike in gear, and it springs out.

Well... now mine is set so if I connect it, to put this bike in gear would have to pull that bar all the way up against, oh what ever that part is where the cable actually runs through? Looking at that picture, it would be bumping up against that post where the cable goes. And neutral would be in the position in the picture.

WHAT did I do? And how do I fix this?

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 324
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding your question. But maybe I've got it; it's beginning to sound as though that clutch arm is not installed properly. You'll want to remove the main drive gear cover. You'll then see the part of that clutch arm that normally is inside that cover.

Be careful at this point: the clutch mechanism (inside the engine) includes a small ball bearing that might pop out and cause you all kinds of grief.

Now put this cover back on with the clutch arm pointed straight toward the rear of the bike. There's a small "pin" that keeps that clutch arm from backing up and out of that gear cover. They're garbage and yours might already be gone. (Mine is) It should be replaced, but it shouldn't be a major issue right now. When you put everything together with the arm pointed straight back, you should have a working clutch.

Good luck.

looks like the cable housing is continued thru the cable housing stop

hard to tell what that is on the cable -- to the right of the arm ?

need a better picture

get it up and

ride that thing Mountainman

Last edited:
HI there,

I gave up on this for today. I'll take some better pictures tomorrow, so please! Come back here ok?

This bike was running fine. Bought it built already. It was fine till it fell over and broke the brake lever.
I took apart the old lever just fine. But something got screwy and I don't know how. Only thing I can think of, is I tried to move the bike while it's in gear and after I disconnected the cable.

Could that have done anything?

Again, I'll get some better pictures tomorrow. The one I posted is off the internet. Not even my bike.

Tune in tomorrow. Same channel.

Thanks

Ok, I uploaded a composite image. Maybe this will help?

Two problems...
Image 1 and 2 in the composite, show the position of this bar before I took off the cable. Image 3 shows how far in it has to go now to put into neutral.
I have no idea what happened, other than I had to move the bike and position of the peddles a few times while I had everything taken apart. Could that have done something?

Also... I think this was connected with the wrong hardware when I got it.
See image 4 in the composite. ALL I have is this one tiny screw. But.. there are NO screw threads inside the arm. (It came out awfully easy too.)
I think this was just jammed in next to the cable and forced into place.
Look at the image in my first post. (Yes I know that's a bad image.) But there is a small gold part at the end of the arm. I bet this is what that screw was supposed to fit into which locks the cable in place.
So... where would I get such a part?

Finally, I'm not 100% sure on the position that arm was in before I disconnected everything, but I know it didn't push in as far as it needs to now.

hope you all can help.
thanks.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 264
In picture number 4 you are holding a silver bolt ... in the original picture you show the brass barrel attached to the clutch cable. you need the brass barrel.

You show the clutch arm pushed way in and state you need to push this far to hit neutral. Mine is about the same when I push by hand. My clutch arm is a little inside of straight toward the engine about the same as you show in picture number 2.

I do not believe the clutch arm should ever stick out when connected like you show in picture number 1.

Ok, thanks. I wanted to just try it out but your right, I am missing that brass part. So where on earth do I find that?
Is there some kind of generic cable clamp I can find at lowes or some place?
Or is this part only found where they sell these motors?

Ok, thanks. I wanted to just try it out but your right, I am missing that brass part. So where on earth do I find that?
Is there some kind of generic cable clamp I can find at lowes or some place?
Or is this part only found where they sell these motors?

many hardware stores
most auto parts stores
most small engine shops -- lawn mower repair

should have what you need

so as to ride that thing ----------------------- Mountainman

I got it fixed!!!!! YEA! You guys were right, that bar, though I can push it all the way in, doens't have to. I found a basic cable clamp at auto zone. Looks odd, but works just dandy! So.... I'm rollin again!
And... have a nice dual side sturdy kickstand on order, so this won't happen again. (I hope.)

Thanks for all your help.

I got it fixed!!!!! YEA! You guys were right, that bar, though I can push it all the way in, doens't have to. I found a basic cable clamp at auto zone. Looks odd, but works just dandy! So.... I'm rollin again!
And... have a nice dual side sturdy kickstand on order, so this won't happen again. (I hope.)

Thanks for all your help.

Good News!!! I also need to order a better kickstand. Every morning first thing, I check to see if that coat hanger kickstand that came on the bike is still holding. :eek:

Back