Carby Need Help with Carb Identification

Daniel_62

Local time
12:34 AM
trying to ID this Carb, After reading all this & that on different set ups I am confuzed! I see alot of different carbs for sale on the Websites & Ebay

I have a new Skyhawk GT 5 66cc dated 09-10-09

the carb has :
a petcock
tiny little choke lever
On left side it has little pump plunger
and 1 Air mixture screw, (or is it an idle adjustment)

thank you

David

you probably have an n.t. carb. that came on almost all happy time engines for a long time. A lot of them now come with cns style carbs, which can be a real hassle to get tuned right.
Yes the screw is for idle adjustment, these n.t. carbs do not have an air-fuel adjustment screw.
The petcock is a secondary fuel shut off built into the carb.
The plunger is a "tickler" button, and it's like a primer button (like you'd find on most weedeaters and chain saws).
If you had a picture of the carb, it would be really simple for someone to identify it.

What kind of air filter is on it?

If it's a black rectangle, it'll be a CNS.
If it's a red rectangle, it'll be NT Speed.

There are two carbs with the red cover - there is the NT Speed, which has one screw on the side and one cable coming out the top, and there is the CNSv2/GenB which has two screws on the side and two cables coming out the top.

Thank you for the verification, I do have the NT 1 screw, 1 cable

It started last night and ran for the first time.

Idles well, No hesitation, decent throttle response, I do have a Single Boost Bottle Kit
But not installed Yet

Using a 16: 1 mix right now

Is there a More preferred Carb for future use? Better performance?

thank you DuctTapedGoat

David

For stock carbs, you've got the best one out there (when compared to CNS, CNSv2/GenB, NT).

ThatsDax.com sells a Dellorto clone for 30-40 bucks, I hear NOTHING but great things about it. It's second only to a real Dellorto.

If you take the time and tune the nt carbs, they will always perform well.
Once you get the jetting sorted out, the float level set right, and get the jet needle clip set on the right slot, your engine will run really good.
The nt carb really isn't a performance carb, but tuned right, it can be very reliable and give your engine decent power.
Going to a cns can be nothing but a headache.
they can be difficult to tune, the choke works opposite of a standard choke, and sometimes the cns carbs don't stay attached to the intake manifold.
I had a cns for 1 day, and went back to the nt because no matter what i did, i could not get the cns to run right at all.
I've re-jetted my nt carb which was a lot of trial and error, and getting the jet needle in the right position takes some time as well.

4-Stroking

Hey Moto,
I've been all over trying to find the best, or easiest, way to re-jet a carb.
I either have to decrease gas flow or increase air flow. I don't think I'm gonna put a RAM AIR unit on it, so I'll have to re-jet to smaller somehow.
You elude to something like " once you get the jetting sorted out" Well, I'm trying to get the jetting sorted out.
AL had a link to a vidio that explained what 4-stroking was and it is exactly what my bike is doing. So PLEASE, how do ya fix it? Can ya buy smaller jets?
Thanks
Big Red.

Back