Need help with disc/sprocket assembly

larrythelabelguy

Local time
6:57 AM
Hello all. My name is Larry. I am new here and am building my first bike. I need help with adding a disc brake/drive sprocket to my back mag wheel. Does anyone know what will work. What size rotor to get? I have 160mm on now because I was going to go with a jackshaft. But seat post tube is bent and not sure it will work. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 0C2E123D-71D0-4B43-A42F-05EDDE55D672.jpeg
    0C2E123D-71D0-4B43-A42F-05EDDE55D672.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 179
Not sure what you mean Chainlube
You can't take off from a stop with a single speed rear hub.....most that use a jackshaft do it so they can utilize a 6 or 7 speed rear cartridge type hub and can utilize the higher gear ratio to take off from a stop and shift to lower ratios as they go for cruising speeds. If your intention isn't to set it up to shift it, you may as well use the sprocket from the kit on the left side. I saw a bike posted on here where they had enough clearance somehow to run the sprocket and disc on the same side spaced apart.

You can't take off from a stop with a single speed rear hub.....most that use a jackshaft do it so they can utilize a 6 or 7 speed rear cartridge type hub and can utilize the higher gear ratio to take off from a stop and shift to lower ratios as they go for cruising speeds. If your intention isn't to set it up to shift it, you may as well use the sprocket from the kit on the left side. I saw a bike posted on here where they had enough clearance somehow to run the sprocket and disc on the same side spaced apart.
I saw that myself and messaged this person. Haven’t got a reply yet. His build was on identical frame I have.

Hello all. My name is Larry. I am new here and am building my first bike. I need help with adding a disc brake/drive sprocket to my back mag wheel. Does anyone know what will work. What size rotor to get? I have 160mm on now because I was going to go with a jackshaft. But seat post tube is bent and not sure it will work. Thanks in advance
This item will work for you or there is the custom made route,you will need a large rotor and smaller gear dia or tooth count which means you will need to make more power from the engine.

Larry, jackshafts have other uses, besides transferring engine power to the right side.
They help you align the engine's drive sprocket with the rear wheel sprocket, if necessary.
Most 4-stroke engines and some 2-stroke engines have their power take off(PTO) shaft on the left side. If one were to line up the PTO sprocket with the rear wheel sprocket, the engine would not be centered. It'd be positioned asymmetrically towards the right side.
Most owners who want speed tend to gear their bikes with a high gear ratio( "High" gearing means low numerically). If they gear for low end(higher numerically), then it limits the bike's top speed.
So, for a better start from a standstill, they install a Torq Convertor.
A Torq Convertor is like an old Chevy 2-speed Powerglide transmission. Thru a series of belt and pulleys, its 2.7:1 gearing bolsters the owners' 5:1(or whatever) gearing to a torque-multiplied 13.5:1 holeshot. Then it shifts to a 1:1(or higher) gear for cruising.
The Torq Convertor short shaft hangs inboard, to align the sprocket on it with the rear wheel sprocket.

You can't take off from a stop with a single speed rear hub ??? Maybe you can't but many can! It's all in the setup,there are older members here whom pull trailers with stock engines and not just one LOL but a half dozen or more in a train,I run 11 tooth output sprocket (on the engine) and a 30 tooth gear with 27" tire and can tow 250+ lbs from a stop no problem with a bit of clutch slip out of the hole.Read through the forum gain some knowledge from the vast experiences shared within!

You can't take off from a stop with a single speed rear hub ??? Maybe you can't but many can! It's all in the setup,there are older members here whom pull trailers with stock engines and not just one LOL but a half dozen or more in a train,I run 11 tooth output sprocket (on the engine) and a 30 tooth gear with 27" tire and can tow 250+ lbs from a stop no problem with a bit of clutch slip out of the hole.Read through the forum gain some knowledge from the vast experiences shared within!
You seem toxic towards me for some reason and not a very welcoming "know it all long time member". I can't take off from a dead stop without pedaling or torching a stock clutch....but since you have a rig that does, it means everyone should run the same set up. I'm off this forum....had about enough of higher than thou attitudes from guys like you. Your post count doesn't mean jack s**t as far as your intelligence. I'll go back to my Harley group and leave ya to your expert area....peace ✌

Aw come on, SloRyd, stick around.
You seem to have a LOT of 2-stroke experience that members here can really use.
Don't worry about Street Ryder. He gets a LOT of flack himself from other members, but he's still here to contribute.
It helps to develop a thick skin.
Hey, it's the Internet! Guys act grumpy and badass behind their keyboard.
No disrespect to SloRyd or StreetRyderz.
Just trying to keep the peace.:)

Back