Need help with my rear coaster hub slipping when I pedal

Jeff0676

Local time
7:15 AM
Before I start, I want to say I have recieved alot of help from you all and especially Quenton who has been a life saver. My engine upgrade kit from him is working great! I have gotten most of the bugs out of my 1999 whizzer but now I am having a problem when I go to pedal it is slipping. Does anyone know what I should do?
From what I have seen on other posts about the hub on my 99 whizzer I am wondering if I should just go ahead and replace it.
Thanks Jeff

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,
Sorry I missed this post...........

Best advise is to replace the original Whizzer coaster brake hub, as the spoke flanges have a history of breaking loose from the hub and moving to the center[can you say riding a wet noodle?].

Hi Stop is a good replacement hub.

Have fun,

Thanks Quenton: I already ordered a shimano hub that I saw recommended on this forum so I hope it works good.

Shimano is a great choice.

Currently I am trying to replace as many newer hubs with the vintage units. The vintage hubs are one solid piece, and don't fracture.

Although I have used both Shimano & Hi Stop on several of my motorbikes, they weren't totally problem free. The Hi Stop hubs don't stop as well as the Shimano, but I have had a Shimano hub crack and lockup.

Have fun,

Hello Quenton, do both wheels, the 24 and the 26 inch rims have the same problem of breaking from the hub? Is the failure on both front and rear or just the back? Is the problem due to the torque from engine causing them to weaken or are they just inexpensively made rims with a short life expectancy to begin with made shorter with the motor?
On another note, today I received my "Quenton's magic upper half" for my 2000 Pacemaker which I hope to install in early March.
Cheers!
Robert Faust

I'm not Quenton, but I can say that the hub failures did occur with both sizes. They used the same hub for both. My hub (on a 24") went at 168 miles if I remember correctly. Mine did fail on the side with the sheave, so the engine torque may have played a role, but in general the hubs were not strong enough for the job at hand.
If you replace the whole hub / rim combination, get rims that are made for balloon tires (24 or 25 x 2.125). The rims that came standard with the Whizzer are optimized for middleweight tires (24 or 26 x 1.75).

Thanks, and I guess that would mean there is probably not a market or chance of maybe putting the original 24 inch wheels (only 300 miles and looking brand new) on ebay. Guess I'll just keep them.

Back