Need help!

bromoto

Local time
10:06 PM
So guys I need help and suggestions!

I'm interested in building a motorizing/electronic bicycle. however I'm in need of help. Because I was sure of purchasing a fixie bicycle but after looking more into (stretched) beach cruisers I'm looking more into those now.

So I need suggestions, I'm 6'6 and about 210lbs.....I need suggestions should I get a fixie or stretched beach cruiser?

Thanks guys, I need help!!

Bromoto

Big Bikes

Hey bromoto, I think what yer looking for is at yer local Wallmart. A 29 inch Astra or Onyx. Then theres the 32 inch Genisis but I'm not sure if an engine would go on it very easy. A friend of mine motorized an onyx and it turned out pretty nice.
Anyway, If you're gonna put a engine on it I don't see how a fixie would work. In most states to be a street legal motorized bike it has to have peddles. The exception is electric bikes in California. Peddles turning whille doing 40mph would break both yer legs. So I think a motorized fixie is OUT.
I'm probably gonna catch crap for recommending a Wallyworld bike, But I've been riding a Wallmart Huffy for going on two years without too many problems. I'm only 6' tall, (but 240lbs) and I'm doing great on a 26 inch Cranbrook with baby apes.
Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck with it.
Big Red.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Genesis-Astra-Men-s-Beach-Cruiser-Bike/20658233

Last edited:
Thanks big red,

However because of the Fixie being fixed, I would flip flop the hub converting it to being a freewheel. So it would allow me to not constantly pedal.

I like both those bikes genesis an onyx but I was leaning more towards a "stretched frame".

Any thoughts?

In the motorized bicycle world a heavy bicycle frame is not a bad thing. They often hold up better the the extremely light frame bicycles.

In the motorized bicycle world a heavy bicycle frame is not a bad thing. They often hold up better the the extremely light frame bicycles.

I agree 100% LR. I try to always go with steel frames. Aluminum and me just don't get along at 40mph.
I've seen a few stretched frames on craigslist. Or you could build your own if ya weld.
Big Red.

So a stretched frame would support the added weight and at high speeds...only reason I'm considering a stretched cruiser is bc I'm a big guy. And I'm afraid that a regular beach cruiser would be to small.

Any thoughts?

So a stretched frame would support the added weight and at high speeds...only reason I'm considering a stretched cruiser is bc I'm a big guy. And I'm afraid that a regular beach cruiser would be to small.

Any thoughts?

Thats why I suggested the 29 inch instead of a standard 26 inch bike. Find a Wallyworld that has one in stock and go sit on it then decide. I think a 29 inch bike will be plenty big enough.
Big Red.

Hey bromoto, I think what yer looking for is at yer local Wallmart. A 29 inch Astra or Onyx. Then theres the 32 inch Genisis but I'm not sure if an engine would go on it very easy. A friend of mine motorized an onyx and it turned out pretty nice.
Anyway, If you're gonna put a engine on it I don't see how a fixie would work. In most states to be a street legal motorized bike it has to have peddles. The exception is electric bikes in California. Peddles turning whille doing 40mph would break both yer legs. So I think a motorized fixie is OUT.
I'm probably gonna catch crap for recommending a Wallyworld bike, But I've been riding a Wallmart Huffy for going on two years without too many problems. I'm only 6' tall, (but 240lbs) and I'm doing great on a 26 inch Cranbrook with baby apes.
Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck with it.
Big Red.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Genesis-Astra-Men-s-Beach-Cruiser-Bike/20658233

I built bikes at Wally world last year. The Fixie's rear wheel is reversible. It has a sprocket on both sides of the hub,so one sides a freewheel. I'd go for the Onyx though myself. Their really light for the size, but I don't see them on the website anymore. They also have 32" bikes with front and rear caliper brakes.
Also the tubing is bigger on the 29,32" bikes, but so is the person.
I ride a steel frame Schwinn with a four stroke. Being around farm equipment probably had something to do with that. Vibration and soft metal to me isn't a good thing.

Last edited:
Ocho ninja just showed me a flip flop hub. So I guess a motorized fixie is do-able. Just seems like a lot of trouble flipping a wheel around every time ya wanna switch. Most people I know that also want a peddle bike have both.
And yeah Stoltzee, I think a STEEL frame is the only way to go.
Big Red.

Back