Need Help

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by BikeMan2, Nov 27, 2016.

1. BikeMan2

BikeMan2 Member

I bought the Gasbike Gen for our motors I can make it produce light but how do I get it to charge a 12Volt 1.3AH SLA Battery? I would like to make my own battery charger if I can. Can anyone help?

<
  2. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

I already posted in your other topic about this but what the heck.
    You bought this on e-bay for $45 right?

[​IMG]

It's an iron bar wrapped with copper wiring like this one on e-bay for $30.

[​IMG]
    Pass a magnet over it, and it generates a little AC pulse.
    The faster you pass a magnet by, the more power it makes.
    Put DC to it and it becomes an electromagnet.
    In short, transfering energy from magnetic to electrical and back again.

To save whatever little power that coil can make you need to convert it to DC and I'm thinking 12V 1ah is a bit optimistic and maybe think 6V.
    Most anything even 7.2V LED's will handle 6V DC.

It is all what your second coil can produce, and I figure that little coil won't produce much.
    How much power that can produce is directly related to engine RPM.
    The higher the R's, the higher the voltage.

The voltage of your battery determines how much voltage the source has to have (RPM's) to if it's high enough to actually charge as you can't charge a 12V battery with a 6VDC source.

A full wave rectifier (ac/dc converter) is just 4 diodes, you can buy the packaged version for $1
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...beqolgm3gQ==&gclid=CJSMzZGnydACFZCIaQodxmoBfA

I'll get back with you when I have some time.

3. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

since it's grounded and not floating, it will need one diode spliced in to the red wire. The band on the diode should be on the battery side of the wire for the positive pulses to go to the battery. But like KC said it may only be able to work with a 6 volt battery.

4. Street Ryderz

Street Ryderz Well-Known Member

It will work if its the 12v 6w version but as stated above you will need a rectifier and a voltage regulator because like kc said higher rpm will produce a higher voltage and the regulator will keep it stable,bigger problem is that you will only get 500 ma or 1/2 an amp at best from it!

5. BikeMan2

BikeMan2 Member

I bought the gas bikes Gen not the one from Wonderful World it does make 12V after my full wave rectifier with 2 Smoothing caps I have it wired into a Voltage Reg (DC-DC Adjustable Boost Buck Step Down Up Converter XL6009 Solar Voltage Module) that keeps the system at 12V I want to Charge a battery with it. Can anyone help me?

Attached Files:

6. Street Ryderz

Sounds like you got it right should work!

7. BikeMan2

BikeMan2 Member

So I dont need anything to Charge the Battery but what I have?

8. Street Ryderz

should work as long as its stable between 12-14 vdc its all good!

9. BikeMan2

BikeMan2 Member

Thankyou

10. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

a regulator is needed only if the coil produces too much power for the battery at high rpm

11. BikeMan2

BikeMan2 Member

The Coil will make 20V at high speeds I have tested it. I have it bucked to 12V right now

12. Street Ryderz

Oh yeah it does!

13. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

as long as it doesn't exceed the normal charging current of the battery then it's OK without a regulator

14. Street Ryderz

sla's at 12v don't like seeing above 14v while charging they don't have a good cycle life to begin with and high voltage sulfates the cells faster!And it's capacity goes for a dump! The op's set up will work just fine.

15. KCvale

One diode will make you a half-wave rectifier so you only get the + voltage half of the power of the AC pulse, 3 more diodes and you get a full wave rectifier so you get all the AC power converted to DC by converting the - voltage cycle to + too.

16. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

but it is grounded at one of its wires. you would have to cut that connection so that the two coil wires go to the full wave rectifier and then have its negative output go to ground and it's positive output go to the battery. but the way it's built it is nearly impossible to do that.

17. KCvale

I believe this is the full wave he bought.
    The 2 big caps were overkill it's simple.
    The 4 diodes are in the black box.
    And on the green terminal lug, two AC ~ in's, and a + and - out.

[​IMG]

You can tie ground to the frame to ground if you want to, but you don't have to.

18. BikeMan2

BikeMan2 Member

No the caps was not over kill there 1000uf each at 35v

19. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

I guess my insight means nothing although I'm a very experienced electronics technician.

20. Street Ryderz

bottom line Bikeman did it work?