Need lots of help on a 1951 Schwinn.

I made a trip to the local bike shop and they didn't have the bearing packs i needed, so they told me to loose pack them. So, I left with a bag of loose bearings.

Did a little more work today:

I stripped and primed the fork, fenders and chain guard. I painted the wheels red (changed my mind, copper is out, old school red is in). I also packed the headset bearings and re-assembled the fork/frame. After everything was pretty much dry, I reassembled the fenders on the bike. So this is where I'm at.

I'm not looking forward to putting the wheel bearings back together

DtW3r1Gfge5qnwc0uGz7Zlqlo1_400.jpg

DtW3r1Gfge5r0sjmfSIxJZolo1_400.jpg

DtW3r1Gfge5r4kccX05nU7Ljo1_400.jpg

I put the wheel guts back together today. I replaced the front bearings, but I didn't have replacements for the rear, so I greased the **** out of them and reinstalled the stuff (hopefully correctly) and it doesn't wiggle. woot. It will be ready to ride tonight. Now I just need an engine...:) Blue collar bob says his will be back in stock tomorrow.

oh also, I ordered a light kit and a generic brake kit. any advice on where it should be mounted? the brake kit?

How would I go about adding a front brake to this bicycle. I ordered a generic brake kit, but the brake wouldn't clear the front fenders + I don't really have any good way to mount it, although I was thinking about using a conduit strap to mount something to the headset (something like this:
images

Is there a bigger brake kit that will allow the fender to be there or is there some alternate mounting place that would work? This is a low budget build, so I'm probably not going to go buy a disc brake kit...

thanks.

Back