Wheels Need Rear Wheel With Drum Brake

james65

Local time
7:38 AM
Where can I purchase a 26" REAR wheel with a drum brake (other than worksman)?
I am looking for a complete wheel not a hub that has to be laced. Any sources woud be apreciated.

why not disk?

if its 26 inch there are lots of less expensive disks out there. If your going for a drum I would recommend a Stumery Archer hub brake they are sealed bearing and last for a long time with replaceable parts. I don't know if they would let you get the drive cog past the brake lever though.

I think you will need to get the hub laced up to a rim at your local bike shop but check E-bay or Cregs List.

mike Frye

Rear Drum Brake

Mike,
Thanks for the info. It is going to be my first board track tribute build, so I don't want to go with a disc. Also I did not want have to get a hub laced.

However all indicators are pointing in that direction.
I hope to find a vendor that can sell me the S-A hub and lace it to rim. As far as fitting a sprocket guess that will require getting creative.(Of course a heavy leather drive belt and sheave might work).

Jim

Last edited:
There is a guy Im not sure if he is a member here sportscarpat he is making serious BTR replicas with worksman bikes.....he is using moped drum hubs with sprockets but there are other things that need to be done regarding engine placement your best bet is to try getting in touch with him, as he is the only guy Ive seen using a rear drum hub with a sprocket.

Cheers

Btr

Yes I have been in contact with him. His builds are out of my price range (But worth every cent). I am trying to build as much of the build as possiable but lacing a wheel is beyond me. That is why I was looking for a complete wheel.

Thx

Jim

Building a wheel isnt that bad...the crazy part is truing it. There are some great tutorials out there. You can have a shop measure for the spokes and true it.

check this out

the sight that might help is http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

he was "the Man" when it came to bike info. I am sure that he has got to have a good way of building wheels. I have been building wheels so long I don't think about it anymore. I am getting slow in my old age the last wheel I put together took me over two hours (I reused the spokes though). Lucky for me they were stainless steel.

Good luck, Mike

What would be the correct way to attach a motor drive side sprocket to this hub? Edit: I just saw its a multi speed! Depending on your spacing, I have a multi speed disc hub converted to single speed with a CNC 39 tooth sprocket I had planned on listing for sale. Spacing for 135mm

Last edited:
Back