Need some advice

Justy james

Local time
9:51 PM
So I have a old stihl 077 which is 111cc I would like to use it on a bike. What do I need and how do I go about doing this and is it easier to go with a belt drive or chain. I know this isn’t very much information but I’m new to this and have no idea where to start so any information would be helpful thanks

I'm not familiar with using a chainsaw engine on a bike, but I'm sure someone will give you the right anwsers. Best I can tell you now is give Staton bikes a call.

So I have a old stihl 077 which is 111cc I would like to use it on a bike. What do I need and how do I go about doing this and is it easier to go with a belt drive or chain. I know this isn’t very much information but I’m new to this and have no idea where to start so any information would be helpful thanks
What you should do is a kit build first. A non kit build should be done by a knowable builder. Also the expense of doing a non kit build is much higher than a kit build.

E8C7B78A-C03F-4E76-8FD1-6C54A0BC51A8.jpeg
Yeah I would like to do it as cheap as possible but a kit build doesn’t really appeal to me I’m pretty capable when I comes to fabrication and I have most tools needed I think. I tried to build one out of a bmx and a weed eater but I had problems with the chaindrive I used a timing chain and sprockets out of a truck but eventually the frustration got the best of me and a 5lb hammer put an end to that project

e8c7b78a-c03f-4e76-8fd1-6c54a0bc51a8-jpeg.158765
Yeah I would like to do it as cheap as possible but a kit build doesn’t really appeal to me I’m pretty capable when I comes to fabrication and I have most tools needed I think. I tried to build one out of a bmx and a weed eater but I had problems with the chaindrive I used a timing chain and sprockets out of a truck but eventually the frustration got the best of me and a 5lb hammer put an end to that project
View attachment 158765Yeah I would like to do it as cheap as possible but a kit build doesn’t really appeal to me I’m pretty capable when I comes to fabrication and I have most tools needed I think. I tried to build one out of a bmx and a weed eater but I had problems with the chaindrive I used a timing chain and sprockets out of a truck but eventually the frustration got the best of me and a 5lb hammer put an end to that project
really the information I’m looking for is the best way to transfer the power from the saw the the bike that’s at least kinda safe but more importantly reliable I’m not a big fan of fixing stuff on the side of the road

e8c7b78a-c03f-4e76-8fd1-6c54a0bc51a8-jpeg.158765

really the information I’m looking for is the best way to transfer the power from the saw the the bike that’s at least kinda safe but more importantly reliable I’m not a big fan of fixing stuff on the side of the road
If thats the weed eater bike above, your biggest problem was gearing that I can see right off the bat.

A chain saw will need massive gear reduction to work right. They are ported to make all their power up high. So the power band will be short and snappy. Great for a race bike, but not so much a streetable bike.

Here's what we're talking about. Many of these engines turn 3600+ rpm, a chainsaw would be even greater. So the rear wheel can't be turning that fast or you'd be going over a 100+ mph. Due to the amount of torque the engine produces it wouldn't move the bike anyways. Sending the torque through a transmission reduction system lowers the wheel rpm while increasing the torque being applied to the rear wheel.

With these bikes you're going to have failures. So therefore, you have to be mature enough to seek advice and/or come up with ways to overcome challenges they'll throw at you.

Lots of reduction and a shift kit could make a 111cc engine pretty fun!
I've seen saw bikes, they are fast and fun with gears. They have a habit of chewing everything up if everything is not maintained perfectly. They are not as forgiving with alignment and such as out HT kits. All that power up top makes 'em screamers, but also destroyers if not maintained.

Thanks for the advice I figured I would ask before starting this next project. So if I’m not mistaken I need smaller gears and a transmission what would be the best option for transmission for the 111cc saw and I would imagine there is some sprockets or gears for this sort of thing any recommendations on what would be best for this application I really do appreciate all the input thanks again

Back