Need some heavy duty 20 inch bike wheels

crazeehorse

Local time
2:52 AM
Doe anyone know where to find some 20 inch bike wheels that have very strong spokes & bearings? I need these to put on a big wheel push lawnmower. I have used regular bike wheels, but they don't hold up very long. The wheels that came on the mower have very thick spokes that look like they may be 1/8 inch diameter. Any suggestions?

Doe anyone know where to find some 20 inch bike wheels that have very strong spokes & bearings? I need these to put on a big wheel push lawnmower. I have used regular bike wheels, but they don't hold up very long. The wheels that came on the mower have very thick spokes that look like they may be 1/8 inch diameter. Any suggestions?

Northern Tools has some nice 20" mag wheels or spoked wheels...

And why do we need heavy duty wheels on a lawnmower that goes 2 miles per hour?

Can you post photos of the original mower wheels? Are they the same axle diameter/hub width as regular BMX wheels?

And what part of BMX wheels fails first? Hand-built 40-spoke BMX wheels are pretty tough; they can support a few hundred pounds each. Yea they can be broken, but the spokes is not the weakest link, the bearings is usually the first part to go from loads that are too high.

Also most every push-mower wheels I have seen had non-pneumatic (solid) rubber tires.

I would caution you against spending for any similar-looking utility wheels, since they are usually built pretty flimsy, especially the bearings,,, which often are not replaceable.

Honestly - go to your local BMX dirt track and talk to some of the kids out there. 20" wheels is what they live on every day, and trust their life to when they're coming off a 25' air.

Find the best rider, and ask him to build you something - they'd know best the strongest lacing pattern, strongest spokes and spoke count, and if you offered to pay them for labor, they'd prolly love the extra cash.

Back