Need some Honda Info ASAP

bamabikeguy

Local time
8:22 PM
Folks,

It's Friday night, and just 3 hours ago I found out Staton sent two Honda 35cc's instead of the Robin/Subarus I ordered. Dave said it was a shipping error, but that the Honda's cost more.

My customers Worksman Trikes arrive mid-week, and I have to make a decision. I've had no dealings with a Honda for over 8 years, but I had a pressure washer that cranked EVERY TIME for years and years.

Any Honda input would be appreciated, we have to make a "ship it back" decision quick.

Thanks

Staton's site shows the Honda 35cc costing $40 less than the R/S 35cc.

The R/S is made in Japan, has a cast iron bore and has a built-in-cam compression release for easy pull starting. It also has its torque come on at a slightly lower rpm than the Honda.

The Honda is produced in Thailand, has a less durable chrome bore(grit damage), has no compression release but, iirc, can operate in more unusual positions for a longer time than the R/S.

I think the R/S is slightly smaller in size.

In 1982, I bought a new, left over from 1981, Honda cb650 custom. sweet machine...in a year & a 1/2 I never put a wrench on it! I took it to the local Honda shop for oil changes.
in 1972, I rode the carp out of a 1971 honda sl100. this thing was still running, with chunk out of the piston....very smoky!!
Earlier that year, Dad bought me a 1965 Honda 50. I wish I still had that one. (I tore it up, too :()

my point...I don't think you can go wrong with a Honda. powerwise, I don't know how they stack up....but dependability is there.

I'm eager for the start of your trike builds.

Thanks Pete-

Staton's site shows the Honda 35cc costing $40 less than the R/S 35cc.

I'm getting slightly irked. I told him vendor-customer communication was VERY important, especially since we the customers now can share insights...

Paul, It was a mistake. Send the Honda's back and I will ship you the Robin - Subaru's. If you want to keep the Honda's that's fine too as they are $599.00 each and not $559.00.

My lose and your gain if you want to keep them.

We have 2,500 Robins in stock, the order just got entered with the wrong brand of engine.

The warranties are the same and the hp is the same 1.6 hp and both are 4 cycle.

Sorry about the mistake.
David

The shipping sure took a LOOOONG time, when I sent a certified check, which should be a signal of trust.

my point...I don't think you can go wrong with a Honda. powerwise, I don't know how they stack up....but dependability is there.

I'm eager for the start of your trike builds.

The ease of cranking and torque were the two things that attacted me to the R/Subaru, and I clearly expressed to Staton that these were "test trikes", with a strong possibilty for an expanded program operated by a charity.

I just feel the vendors should take MB.com a little more seriously, and not get off on the wrong foot on the very first order.

Kind of a rant, but I hate Friday surprises. Pete's pricing info and cylinder insight is enough to get my blood pressure rising.

I studied both these motors before going with the R/S.
The Honda does have an OHC and removable cylinder head. The R/S is a push rod engine with a very effective for lean burn with strong mid-range Heron head design. Push rod geometry is at dead 90 degrees and this is good for smooth valve operation w/o wear. The R/S' head is cast with the block...there is no head gasket to ever leak and no oil feed to weep going to the OHC.

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3086
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2822

srdavo,
I was not attacking Honda's engines, they did not get to where they are today by building junk.

I'm planning on getting another motor in the next couple of months for my trike. I was planning on watching/copying aspects of your build. David should be made aware that my final decision will be HEAVILY influenced by how your situation is resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning on getting another motor in the next couple of months for my trike. I was planning on watching/copying aspects of your build. David should be made aware that my final decision will be HEAVILY influenced by how your situation is resolved.

Van, e-mail me bama_bikeguy at yahoo, I'll give you some insight. Don't think the p**tcensor will allow my "reflection of the situation".

I think, with LocoWelders/srdave/Tecumsehs and other mb.com guidance, we could accomplish the SAME non-patented system for trikes.

It seems to me that the main draw of the Staton gear and chain drive is the reduction box. I think maybe I'll look into the gear reduction systems at Visa Motors. A guy named Dan Hunter posted a pic of his build using one in his intro. It doesn't show detail of the reduction gear, but a guy who builds that clean may use good components. I'll see if I can't get him to give us some detail.

Back