Need some input please?!?

Carl Walichnowski

Local time
10:36 PM
IMG_0440.PNG
IMG_0441.jpg
IMG_0525.PNG
Ok so my install is finally complete and I've been up and running for a couple weeks now. Since this is my first build and I'm learning as I go I need to tap the brain of those more experienced then I am. (I have a Grubee Skyhawk 66cc on a Swinn beach cruiser). So here's my questions and/or concerns:
1) The motor seems to bog/stutter/shake when I first pop the clutch and it will continue to do so until I go over about 15 mph. My neighbor says the issue may be a lack of air getting into the carb and I can adjust the carb by turning a little screw on the bottom side of the carb. I'm about 1 3/4 tank of gas into my break in phase running a 50/1 mixture ratio. So my 1st question is how in the hell do I stop the bogging & get a smoother ride?? My neiobor is a Harley man so 2 cycles aren't exactly his thing but is he right? Before adjusting anything I wanted to know if the bogging is simply part of the break in period and there will be smoother rides after I finish breaking in the motor or should I adjust the carb. I also have a new carberator on the way (see attached photo) that will be here within the week, if it is simply an issue of adjusting this screw is it best to just wait and switch out my carb and go from there??
2) Regarding the new carb, is the one in the attached photo actually an upgrade or simply a replacement? Since I'm learning as I go I hope this will improve the overall performance of the motor instead of providing no improvement over my stock carb.
3) I've read a few times on this forum that with an improved carb an upgraded muffler should also be purchased..... I went ahead and purchased a new muffler (See attached photo), will this also improve performance? Is a new manifold also recommended?
4) Ok my last question regarding upgrades, I'm interested in knowing if purchasing a new cylinder head would improve performance in any way?? I'm interested in buying the head in the attached photo, Is it worth purchasing? This one is priced at a little below $20, is it actually better then a stock head? I seen a "racing" cylinder head for double the price, would that give me more bang for my buck?
5) As far as breaking in the motor, there's a lot of opinions on what ratio is best and for how long the ratio should be ran.... I decided on a 50/1 ratio for the first 3 gallons, then a 40/1 for the next 2 gallons then I may run on a 25/1 for the life of the motor. Obviously I want my motor to run as smoothly for as long as possible so I'm open to some feedback on if this plan is the best break in ratio?? If it matters I usually run the motor around for no longer then a total of an hour a day and at the most at 10-15 minute intervals. It's 50-70 degrees here in Erie, PA and I ride on level ground & on asphalt.
I know it's a lot of questions to throw out there in one thread but hopefully members can at least answer 1 or 2 questions, any input would highly be appreciated!!! Thanks!​

First thing is your oil to fuel ratio's are backwards! I hope your using synthetic oil because 50/1 means fifty parts of fuel to one part oil.Break in should have been 20/1 or so I know the manufacture says 16/1 but thats a little overboard. But right now you have very little oil for break in!That pipe doesn't do much but there can be a little top end gain if lean enough and unloaded.The carb no real gain it basicaly the same size! The head is ok but again there are much better available for wicking away heat and not warping is the main purpose of them.

I have the Chinese bagel warmer head. The spark plug hole is strangely smaller than stock so will need drilling and tapping, and the combustion chamber shape is a bizarre shallow cone. I haven't measured the volume yet but I expect I will be able to enlarge and reshape it somewhat. The heat dissipation is undoubtedly crap because of this head having little short fins. It's an upgrade from the warping stock head I guess and worth getting if you can't easily get American products.
If I lived in the USA I'd get a bigger head with more fin surface area.
View attachment 76851
I do in fact live in the U.S., I should of clarified PA. is in the United States.

First thing is your oil to fuel ratio's are backwards! I hope your using synthetic oil because 50/1 means fifty parts of fuel to one part oil.Break in should have been 20/1 or so I know the manufacture says 16/1 but thats a little overboard. But right now you have very little oil for break in!That pipe doesn't do much but there can be a little top end gain if lean enough and unloaded.The carb no real gain it basicaly the same size! The head is ok but again there are much better available for wicking away heat and not warping is the main purpose of them.
I feel so stupid. So after 1 3/4 gallons of 50/1 mix how bad have I damaged my motor?

Here's a pic of the mixture I used. I went through 6 cans already.

Attachments

• IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 214
You may not have but I'm sure you could go ahead and use a 32/1 mix now for the rest of it's life and then re jet for better performance!
So I should take out any remaining fuel/oil in the tank and start now with the 32/1?? And do you think the bogging I've experienced is due to the 50/1?

So I should take out any remaining fuel/oil in the tank and start now with the 32/1?? And do you think the bogging I've experienced is due to the 50/1?
The bogging is usualy from the stock jet being to large and causing a rich burn.If you look at your spark plug it will be very dark in color around the insulator and even the tip if really rich!And yes new fuel mix should also be done fresh!

Please keep in mind that you have to speak in layman terms, what is the jet? If it's to large what can I do about it? Should I replace my spark plug too?

Please keep in mind that you have to speak in layman terms, what is the jet? If it's to large what can I do about it? Should I replace my spark plug too?
The jet is a little fitting in the carb that meters the fuel flow thru it, and yes there are easy to replace you can get jets in any good bike shop or from the bicycle engine vendors.The spark plug alot of us use an NGK hs 6-8 the #6 being hotter than the #8.

Back