need suggestions on a bike...

tghastin

Local time
3:51 PM
I just ordered a staton friction drive Honda GXH50 kit and need suggestions for what bike to put it on. I am 5'10'' 165lbs. I want to use a mountain bike with a hardtail, and disk brakes. I don't want to spend over $500. I went to a bike store and tried a Giant Rincon and really liked it. Will it work with the kit I ordered? If it won't is there something similar that will? Thanks!
-Taylor

To make things easy, make sure your bike has those solid axles; not the quick-release type. And the rear tire should be treads or slicks. Knobbies will vibrate the bike, you, and the engine. I recommend a beach cruiser, either single-speed or a 3 speed.

I have a Giant Sedona with a Staton Friction drive. Over a 1000 miles on it. Front suspenion forks with hardtail. Just terrible in the rain.

The Rincon should be fine for your kit. Have the shop show you how to close quick release axles properly and perform this yourself at least 3 times with them watching. This bike has vertical rear dropouts so the axle can't move around once the wheel is installed completely. It I can tail tap* on a quarter pipe using a quick release rear wheel, you should be fine riding down the road with a motor. At time of purchase you can ask about either swapping the knobbies for road style tires straight up or purchasing them at a discount in addition to the bike. (Try that at Wally World).

*Tail Tap: Video Definition (not me, but you get the idea)

I have a mountainbike MB. Raleigh Mojave - disc brakes - 26/1.95 Comfort B Hardcase Kevlar road tires - Station friction drive - Subaru 33cc. About 5 or 6 hundred miles now -- EVERYTHING IS RIDING GOOD.. Motor went on in about an hour -- if done again time would be around 40 minutes. Bicycle cost aprox 300 dollars - engine 425 dollars - tires 80 dollars. Haven't done one thing to engine or bicycle. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Last edited:
I checked out the Raleigh Mojave (online only, not in person) and liked it also. Would the Honda 50cc Staton friction drive kit I ordered bolt right on?

I checked out the Raleigh Mojave (online only, not in person) and liked it also. Would the Honda 50cc Staton friction drive kit I ordered bolt right on?

Yep -- you are good to go !! Bolt right on -- if you ordered the two support brackets you will need to shorten one bracket and redrill one hole -- reason -- the rear disk brake -- instead of taking the one bracket to the hole that should be used -- disk brake is in the way -- shorten and attach to disk brake bolt.. If you get the Raleigh -- I am sure that you will enjoy it. Aprox so far 5 or 6 hundred miles -- I haven't done a thing except -- just now cleanning the air filter.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Sounds good, I think I am going to go with it! Just curious... what version do you have? I was looking at either the 4.0 or 5.0.

Back