Need tire help.

Mike B.

Local time
4:30 AM
I have a Schwinn bike. It has 700c x 28 tires. For you experienced guys would the Stanton friction drive work ok?

I also have some of these tires......http://www.nu-teck.com/product.html.....has anyone ever used a friction drive with these?

From reading a few of the threads, I've noticed some talk about the difficulty in changing out the bearings. How often do they need replaced? I know...when they wear-out...right? How many miles would you guess?

Thanks!

I see my link didn't work. These tires are solid airless tires.

I guess it would depend on riding conditions.

I've had to replace bearings after riding in rain and puddles.

I buy bearings online for $4/pair. Whenever I switch engines or friction rollers, I replace the bearings.

If you buy bearings from the kit vendors, it'll cost you $11.90-$13.50/pair.

You can tell they need attention by slowly spinning the friction roller. You'll feel the defective bearing' drag.

Orrrr, you'll hear the noisy bearing.

You COULD try greasing the noisy bearings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant remember which thread it was in,

but one of the members had bought a second hand staton friction and the roller itself was worn out, the bearings themselves were fine. Thats alot of milage...........Staton uses top quality parts so his kits tend to last a long time......

The most important part about the staton is making sure you select the right roller out of the gate, your weight, bikes weight, what cruising speed you would like to acheive, is it flat or hilly,

once you have that figured out then you can narrow your selection down. My ride cruises along at around 22 mph easily, not too fast but a nice steady speed for this bike.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=16164&highlight=vegaspaddy

Tires are hit and miss the smoother the thread the better it will work with friction, you put too much much pressure on the tire it will wear quicker, its all a personal taste, you can just swap out your rear whenever its start to get thread bear, no biggie.... expected with the friction drive.

And, as far as a friction drive 'working' with a bike... - if you can mount it, and the drive roller has access to the rear tire, it will work. The tire size has absolutely no bearing on the speed or 'gearing' with a friction drive. The only factors in determining the top speed (and/or acceleration) with friction drives are engine RPM and drive roller diameter.

Back