Need To Be Pointed In The Right Direction

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
7:45 PM
So, with the help of all the information I gathered here I got my engine running and rode it around for about 4 miles. During that time I noticed that with the clutch disengaged, the idle would steadily climb. To a point I was worried about it grenading and I'd just shut it off instead of letting it idle while I coasted. I got home and adjusted the screw on the left side of the carb in hopes of calming that problem. Honestly I didn't know what I was doing I just turned it a twist or two and hopped on to see how it reacted. Nothing. It has been three days now and I've fought with this carb, re-strung the cable to check the needle washer setting (the middle notch of five), screwed the adjuster all the way in and came out a 1/4 of a turn a time, even let it sit all night with no plug in case it was flooded... nothing, well almost nothing, I will feel it fire every few seconds when I'm pedaling which sucks because it just gets my hopes up and I wear myself out. I'm just wondering what I have done wrong... also, it backfires when I give up pedaling and the RPMs slow.

Last edited:
It is fully seated but ill take it off and reseat it. Just where the carb attaches to the manifold right?

Oh wow. Thanks. I read over Ethan's post a few threads down and it there was a lot of good information in there. I took apart my carb and discovered that the float was stuck. It had about 2 mm where it should be 21. After that I realized that there was fuel coming out of the exhaust. So today it is empty of fuel and sitting upside down with no plug until I get home from work tomorrow. I don't have a torque wrench so I'll have to torque by hand. Ill go through and make sure nothing loosened up in the 45 minutes or so I had it running. It is just frustrating since all I did was turn that screw adjuster on the carb and I hadn't got it running since.

Back