Need to make some wheel choices

Risk Man

Local time
3:14 PM
When I tore down the front wheel and put it on the truing stand, it was so bad it was dangerous. Remember this was a "Complete 26 Inch Motor-Ready Motorized Bicycle W/ 2.4L In-Frame Gas Tank "-Open-Box" series of products are tested and proven to work just like new. Items marked as " Open Box " have minor dings and scuffs to their exteriors from shipping. While some equipment may have been slightly used, each "Open Box" item is tested and inspected and assured to work as advertised."

The weld was so bad that created a flat spot and the side wall edges for nearly the entire circumference are not parallel with the variation in some spots over 1/8 inch. I then tore down the back and it was just as bad. Now I know why the bike was jumping up and down like a basket ball over 15 mph.

So I have the already mounted disk brakes and sprocket and hubs with 12 gauge spokes that I suppose I could string to a set of new rims, but searching for them has been way too time consuming... I hate to just throw them away and buy new spoke rims but just not sure. I know the mag wheels are also an option but the only place I can find the three spokers like Damien's is BS Berry and they are "pre order"right now. I have found a few vendors selling the multi spoke mags but I hear many pros and cons with them. So, do I spend $350 in new heavy duty wheel set with sealed bearings and disk ready, buy rims for the existing hubs I have, wait for 3 spoke mags to become available and deal with BS Berry where all of my frame and wheel problems have come from, or buy mags from another source and then also re-string my existing hubs for my next build? (I just picked up a 6 speed Huffy Causeway in very good shape)?? Thoughts and sources appreciated.
IMG_1725.jpg

Exactly why I will no longer buy anything that says open box. I've been burnt on that before too. If you're going to buy used or open box request an email video of the complete contents of the box. If it's equipment request an email video of it working.

You could look at husky bicycles and make your own 26 inch wheels. There around 75 bucks.

First, find the biggest hammer you can. Then start smashing stuff, and I mean get down on it and smash some stuff. smash whatever you own that you want too, I won't judge you. Then scream really freaking loud as you raise your hand with the hammer to the sky. Scream as loud and as long as you can while holding the hammer high in the air. If nothing happens, go ahead and get the 5 spoke while you wait for the 3. Save the hubs for another day.

If lightening strikes the hammer and you become super charged and powerful, go beat up the vendor you were sold all the junk from. An grab me some stuff while you are there.

Exactly why I will no longer buy anything that says open box. I've been burnt on that before too. If you're going to buy used or open box request an email video of the complete contents of the box. If it's equipment request an email video of it working.
Good Suggestion and lesson learned. Big company, big customer service shmoozers. Highly trained to have an answer for everything except giving you your money back for their clearly defective stuff. They have spent way more on customer service than trying to manage quality control from the China junk shops they source their products from.

Good Suggestion and lesson learned. Big company, big customer service shmoozers. Highly trained to have an answer for everything except giving you your money back for their clearly defective stuff. They have spent way more on customer service than trying to manage quality control from the China junk shops they source their products from.
Next time try CDH. They have never ripped me off in all the years I have done business with them. Good company that wants a happy return customer.

thanks... find them on Ebay or they have their own URL?
Ebay is where I go, Idk I think they have their own site too. I like ebay because its all in one, I can email them, link the offering, and get my reply and/or a discount too. They haggle sometimes, especially if you buy big. I'm just a big ebay guy, cheaper there usually too. they've been doing the MB thing a long long time. Plus when things get damaged in shipping, they usually let you keep it, and only want proof it was damaged, then send another, or refund and let you reorder. They never argue, just ask for proof of your claims.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back