Need wheel help Please!

kcpoloman

Local time
7:16 PM
Okay this has happend to me twice in 2 months now. I have a single speed rear wheel with coaster brake on my 80cc beach cruiser. What happens is the axle grease on the bicycle sprocket side is leaking out and the wheel has tons of play. No matter what I cant tighten the play out, its there and wont go away. This wheel is about 2 months old. Same thing happended to previous wheel. Any suggestions? Is there a better single speed coaster brake rear wheel I can buy?

yes kcpoloman -- remember this from before

the only thing that can cause this -- that comes to mind -- is

your cones are coming loose
when cones are adjusted and TIGHT -- this should never happen.................

might try -- buying some ((((((( REAL cone wrenches )))))))

and then ride that thing again

I will try and see what I can do. It just seems like I tighten to a certain point and the wheel gets locked down and I make small adjustment back out and the wheel gets really loose again.

seems like the inner workings of your hub loosened up.

easy fix.

remove your wheel....... you'll see what I mean.
when you get it back together, correctly, DO NOT allow your wheel to spin...until you get it bolted back in your dropouts.

only seen a very few actually wear out

Is there a better single speed coaster brake rear wheel I can buy?

while working in a bicycle shop
only seen a very few actually wear out
and this would be taking into account
many worked on were cheap o's

if you happen to open up
check hubs for cracks
have seen hubs worn and at times cave in -- or shall we say -- shot out

answer to your question -- yes there are almost always better wheels to be found

ride that thing -- fix that thing and let us know -- what happened ???

Sounds like your axle is bent. Unfortunately if it is run bent much it will warp the cups enough so that even if you replace the axle it will still come loose. I know because I went through this last fall with the Bumvee. I knew what the problem was but kept trying to keep it tight (and I have the proper cone wrenches) but finally bit the bullet and got a whole new replacement wheel for $30 at the local bike shop and swapped out the freewheel. Problem solved.

To me it sounds like you need a proper cone wrench- tough (not impossible, but tough) to get the jam nut tight enough without it. If the jam nut is not really and truly jammed, the cone will rotate on the axle and lossenen the whole thing.

Back