Needing Tricycle Information

Lukesky36

Local time
5:50 AM
I need to know some things on the tricycle on the rear axle and how its made up im looking on putting a sprocket on it and mounting a motor on one this is the best picture i could get of the rear end. I would like to weld up a sprocket in the middle in between the drum and chain drive just wondering if i am missing something i need to know about the rear ends on these bikes

so i been doing some research and found out the shaft drive has a keyway going through the whole thing with keys and lock screws im thinking if i move the drum brake over near the center i could make it work with some minimal fabricating for the chain drive

The thing about trikes is that only the right-hand wheel is driven. The left wheel spins on the shaft. This makes the trike pull to the left under power. Noticeable and somewhat difficult even with pedal power. With an engine it'd be a real b**ch. There are differentials available, but you'll need another left-hand wheel to go with it.

You steer a trike with the bars, since leaning is impossible (or at least counterproductive). They don't ride at all like a bike, and I can't imagine trying to ride one at speed. I'm sure it can be done, but it's a little freaky.

The thing about trikes is that only the right-hand wheel is driven. The left wheel spins on the shaft. This makes the trike pull to the left under power. Noticeable and somewhat difficult even with pedal power. With an engine it'd be a real b*tch. There are differentials available, but you'll need another left-hand wheel to go with it.

You steer a trike with the bars, since leaning is impossible (or at least counterproductive). They don't ride at all like a bike, and I can't imagine trying to ride one at speed. I'm sure it can be done, but it's a little freaky.

LOL i tip my worksman on 2 wheel a lot, but only on right side, no traction on left...........Curt

yea most motorized trikes are one wheel drive it would work alright i don't think i would get too much torque steer to make it undrivable im mostly just making it as a utility vehicle a 60 tooth would work well and some fatty tires would be nice on it

Back