New 4-stroke 49cc HuaSheng (142F) Build

Try heating with a propane torch and expand it enough to slide of the engine shaft or we could weld an inertia puller to it, and last but not least pulley puller.

I'm inspired by the distance you've had out of your trans. I have this exact same kit. Huasheng engine with cheapo trans. I've got a little over 200 miles or better so far. I've done a few upgrades. First was to take off the air filter cover an add in an aluminum mesh screen. Helped when climbing hills. I've finally got my exhaust piped instead if canned. I also use a cheapo bike with no issues. It's an older 90s Huffy cranbrook with a swchinn Springer front end and seat. I run 93 octane in mine since out of the box(runs best on shell v power) lol I run the 44 tooth sprocket an have had it up to 36mph once. I've ordered a 38t sprocket I think will work better for my location. Which is all highways everywhere. I've replaced the tires with 26" Wanda king road tires. Which make for great turning ability. I've found with these tires I can run 50+ psi an can lean into turns much better at higher speeds. I'm also with customizing the stock trans or custom building my own. I may even possibly go full belt like the whizzer bikes. I figure the belt design may be a little easier on the cheaper trans. As I'm like you an enjoy the gear ratio. . Keep posting man it's good to hear I'm not the only one out there enjoying this kit. . .

Attachments

• IMAG0013_1.jpg
    IMAG0013_1.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 278
Started it up again this winter since it was nice for few days and I was itching to ride. Changed the oil and drained all the old gas (3 months+) and she started up in a jiff. Amazing how reliable the motor is. I couldn't salvage the original transmission because the GasBike swiss cheese style bell rotor broke and part of it was stuck in the drive shaft and not removable after heating it and prying at with various mechanical advantage.

I was able to get the 5G transmission, solid bell rotor vs 4 holes from GasBike, from BikeBerry at 50% off. It ended up at basically the same cost as the basic GasBike transmission, LOL. The transmission doesn't fit my tapered shaft engine so I had to placed some steel spacers to provide just enough clearance for the engine and transmission shaft and it is fine. The new transmission is 1:6 or 1:6.8 so it is way different than the GasBike 1:3 transmission. I don't think I even need to pedal... Though the top speed is now 23 mph on a 44T versus going almost 37 mph before, but the speed is so consistent over different hills : 21 on small, 20 on medium, and 19 on high/mountain hills.

Now that I think about it. The area around me is actually hilly and the gear ratio I had before was way too low for my actual riding conditions versus my need for speed. I am fine with this though I do have a 36T sprocket I can throw on there but it is on ragjoint so too lazy... I think I am getting a motorcycle this year so just playing around with this until then or gonna throw the motor on a 20" folding bike for my mother.

Long story short. I think the kit from GasBike is fine if you are on a budget and as long as you replace the swiss cheese bell rotor with a solid one ($10-20?) and eventually need to attach a chain tensioner inside the transmission casing to compensate for chain stretch (will rob 1-2 mph). The gearing isn't great for folks in hilly areas but fine for those with lots of flat roads. Of course if you can afford the 4G kit get that to avoid monkeying around with the transmission.

Eventually, I will take the motor off this bike and put it on a 20" folding bike with a friction kit (is this best?) for my mother so I'll post on that project too.

** also the gas tank on the top tube has a leak so only using the big 3L gas tank mounted on a wood block on the rear rack. I guess a lot of folks have this problem with the default gas tank position. I'm sure you guys have good ways to prevent leaks from happening. I suspect it was the vibrations from engine and road hammering at the mounting bolts that are under high tension.

Last edited:
Hi Joe,
Thinking motorcycle eh? For the performance you want it is just about the only solution.
And your Mom is a motor biker? She must be quite the spirited lady. Need another one of the smaller gas tanks?
I have one that needs a home.
Tom

Hi Joe,
Thinking motorcycle eh? For the performance you want it is just about the only solution.
And your Mom is a motor biker? She must be quite the spirited lady. Need another one of the smaller gas tanks?
I have one that needs a home.
Tom

Yeah, I might get one but it is gonna be a difficult choice due to requirements - one being not killing myself - but I will post an off topic post about it when I am certain and welcome your thoughts on it. My mom likes the little 50cc scooters but I mean I already have the 49cc HS engine and on a 20" wheel folding bike I think it will perform almost as well. So she can monkey around on that and no I don't think she can even ride a bike well.

It looks like it is gonna get cold again. Thanks for the offer but I don't think I need an extra tank for a while and when I had both I rarely needed both. I am thinking about putting a pannier there instead.

Hi Joe,
Tom
Just about...
This HS 144F 53cc will climb the toughest hills without pedaling and do 40+ MPH running a NuVinci rear hub.

2_Copper10GDoneRightFrontDrive.jpg.FP

Yeah, I might get one but it is gonna be a difficult choice due to requirements -
one being not killing myself.
I mean I already have the 49cc HS engine.
You won't be killing yourself from not enough brake, she sports dual discs.

Which 49cc you have?
Long straight shaft with the no clutch attached, or the short shaft with the clutch already on it?

Last edited:
Which 49cc you have?
Long straight shaft with the no clutch attached, or the short shaft with the clutch already on it?

No, no, no. I already have the HS-142F and have over 1700 miles on it. The engine has performed well and above my expectations. I am looking into a motorcycle for cross-city, some highway, and joy riding use. The engine is using the 5G transmission from BB (50% off discount) and the speed is fine for motor biking.

BTW, KC i was wanting to ask your opinion on two things: one, a high velocity front facing intake and two, your thoughts on mounting a HS-142f on a 20" folding bike. The current air intake faces backwards and doesn't benefit from the wind/air pressure at speeds so how about mounting an air intake that loops around to the front with a big cone opening.

http://www.otbprototypes.com/otb-velocity-intake-plate.html (example for hp motorcycles)

And, I like the folding bike concept a lot. It is portable you can put it in your trunk or backseat for a ride further away. It is also small enough for people not comfortable with riding bikes or teens. The small wheel diameter will also help with acceleration. I was thinking about moving the HS-142F off of my 26" bike and onto a 20" folding bike but I am not sure how to mount it. There are no friction kits designed for 20" bikes and most likely one will have to do some fabrication.

BTW, KC i was wanting to ask your opinion on two things: one, a high velocity front facing intake
It might if you don't want an air filter and ride in the 40+ MPH range, but any freer flowing filter than stock helps.

and two, your thoughts on mounting a HS-142f on a 20" folding bike.
Hehehe, I just snorted coffee into my keyboard!
I suggest you find something else for the folding bike, like a little clean electric system so the 'fold and stow' is freezable.
Even if you can squeze a 4-stroke in a 20" folding bike it it sure as heck won't be a 'fold it up and put it in trunk' bike unless you drain all the fluids to stow it, then refill everything when you want to ride it again bud so no, not a good idea is my opinion ;-}

It might if you don't want an air filter and ride in the 40+ MPH range, but any freer flowing filter than stock helps.

Hehehe, I just snorted coffee into my keyboard!
I suggest you find something else for the folding bike, like a little clean electric system so the 'fold and stow' is freezable.
Even if you can squeze a 4-stroke in a 20" folding bike it it sure as heck won't be a 'fold it up and put it in trunk' bike unless you drain all the fluids to stow it, then refill everything when you want to ride it again bud so no, not a good idea is my opinion ;-}

Yeah, for a lot of the low power motorcycles such as the Honda Grom and Kawasaki Z125, modding is key and removing the stock air filter/intake with high performance ones is one of the best HP producing mods.

No, the 20" folding bike is not a joke. It has been done but there has been little to no documentation from the builders. Take a look. I admit it might not fit in a trunk but maybe the back seat area. You can't really say the same for a 26" standard bike.

Just about...
This HS 144F 53cc will climb the toughest hills without pedaling and do 40+ MPH running a NuVinci rear hub.

2_Copper10GDoneRightFrontDrive.jpg.FP

You won't be killing yourself from not enough brake, she sports dual discs.

Which 49cc you have?

Thanks for tailoring this build for me KC. Your experience and knowledge of what makes a safe and dependable bike allowed me to make an easy decision on finding a builder I was looking for. Can't wait to see that hammered copper in the sunlight. Thanks again, DAVE

Back