Break In New 80cc break in weird noise + low performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

micromaster22

Local time
10:48 PM
Hello all,

So I am relatively new to the MB scene and to this forum but everyone here has been a great help. So I bought a new 80cc engine off eBay (just a basic kit engine). I know these engines require a break in period but i have a few questions. Here are my specs.

100:1 Opti2
C Clip is in the middle notch(every setting is same performance)
Stock NT Carb and jet

So the engine performs but it is very slow. Uphill is a struggle and it feels like its going to die. At half throttle the bike will cruise well on a flat surface but once I go downhill and speed up the engine seems to only perform so much. It feels limited if that makes sense. At WOT on flat it doesn't seem to have much of a difference. Also there is a semi rough noise coming from the engine. It sounds kind of grinding like but not a terrible grind. The engine makes the noise idling, and while riding.

Ill attach a video of me riding last night. (Excuse the clutch kill i have yet to wire my kill switch) I might sound dumb but here are my questions

Is this normal for break in?
Is there really that much of a performance boost after break in?
Am I Four Stroking?
Do I Need a new Jet?
Should I drain everything and try the standard 20:1 with 2 stroke oil?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I've learned a lot from this forum and i'm having a lot of fun! Im currently at work but I rode the bike here so if anyone has questions or wants pictures Ill try my best to help solve my problem!

Hello all,

So I am relatively new to the MB scene and to this forum but everyone here has been a great help. So I bought a new 80cc engine off eBay (just a basic kit engine). I know these engines require a break in period but i have a few questions. Here are my specs.

100:1 Opti2
C Clip is in the middle notch(every setting is same performance)
Stock NT Carb and jet

So the engine performs but it is very slow. Uphill is a struggle and it feels like its going to die. At half throttle the bike will cruise well on a flat surface but once I go downhill and speed up the engine seems to only perform so much. It feels limited if that makes sense. At WOT on flat it doesn't seem to have much of a difference. Also there is a semi rough noise coming from the engine. It sounds kind of grinding like but not a terrible grind. The engine makes the noise idling, and while riding.

Ill attach a video of me riding last night. (Excuse the clutch kill i have yet to wire my kill switch) I might sound dumb but here are my questions

Is this normal for break in?
Is there really that much of a performance boost after break in?
Am I Four Stroking?
Do I Need a new Jet?
Should I drain everything and try the standard 20:1 with 2 stroke oil?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I've learned a lot from this forum and i'm having a lot of fun! Im currently at work but I rode the bike here so if anyone has questions or wants pictures Ill try my best to help solve my problem!

I hear the clutch and some gear noise but thats normal you should be doing break in at 20:1 even with a semi synthetic The opti will most likely foul the plug and oze oil out the pipe at that ratio so you could switch back to it after break in but I wouldn't the oil is needed in these engines to aid cooling aswell as fighting friction wear it also plays a role in the a/f ratio making it a little richer at 100:1

I hear the clutch and some gear noise but thats normal you should be doing break in at 20:1 even with a semi synthetic The opti will most likely foul the plug and oze oil out the pipe at that ratio so you could switch back to it after break in but I wouldn't the oil is needed in these engines to aid cooling aswell as fighting friction wear it also plays a role in the a/f ratio making it a little richer at 100:1
So you are saying I should stay at the 100:1 opti2 mix or switch to something different? The noises in the clutch and gearing are normal so I shouldn't worry about them, its part of the break in correct? Will I get a performance boost after break in? My old engine (66cc/80cc) was bought of someone and already broken in and had significantly more power than this new engine.

So you are saying I should stay at the 100:1 opti2 mix or switch to something different? The noises in the clutch and gearing are normal so I shouldn't worry about them, its part of the break in correct? Will I get a performance boost after break in? My old engine (66cc/80cc) was bought of someone and already broken in and had significantly more power than this new engine.
I wouldn't use the opti2 for break in you could use a semi synthetic at 20:1 then after break in switch back!After the break in your performance will improve and you can jet it properly to get the most out of it!

So you are saying I should stay at the 100:1 opti2 mix? The noises in the clutch and gearing are normal so I shouldn't worry about them, its part of the break in correct? Will I get a performance boost after break in? My old engine (66cc/80cc) was bought of someone and already broken in and had significantly more power than this new engine.
I wouldn't use the opti2 for break in you could use a semi synthetic at 20:1 then after break in switch back!After the break in your performance will improve and you can jet it properly to get the most out of it!

I just bought 5 Jets online for future use (60,65,70,75,80). What oil/fuel mixture do you recomend at 20:1? Also, how do I go about draining the opti 2 out? Dump the tank and carb and replace? TIA

I just bought 5 Jets online for future use (60,65,70,75,80). What oil/fuel mixture do you recomend at 20:1? Also, how do I go about draining the opti 2 out? Dump the tank and carb and replace? TIA
Ok so I live in Canada and my mixes are done in metric messurements so for 20:1 is 225ml for 4.5l (gallon) thats 50ml per liter if that helps.Yes drain out the tank and float bowl and replace with new mix!

Ok so I live in Canada and my mixes are done in metric messurements so for 20:1 is 225ml for 4.5l (gallon) thats 50ml per liter if that helps.Yes drain out the tank and float bowl and replace with new mix!
7.6 OZ of oil (what oil do you use) for 1 gallon of gas?

7.6 OZ of oil (what oil do you use) for 1 gallon of gas?
I have been using lucas semi synthetic for years now and like that it has low ash (carbon build up)it's not really smokie out the pipe and great wear protection I always find a thin film inside cylinder and in the head chamber that just wipes right off no problem!Here is a pic of my head a while back when removed it had the light film and after one wipe good as new!

Attachments

• 2017-07-31 21.06.58.jpg
    2017-07-31 21.06.58.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 308
  • 2017-07-31 21.08.09.jpg
    2017-07-31 21.08.09.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 316
I have been using lucas semi synthetic for years now and like that it has low ash (carbon build up)it's not really smokie out the pipe and great wear protection I always find a thin film inside cylinder and in the head chamber that just wipes right off no problem!Here is a pic of my head a while back when removed it had the light film and after one wipe good as new!
Cool beans. Thanks for your help. I will stop at the store on my way home from work tonight and grab some Lucas. So after the break in I should feel a performance boost? Its kind of disappointing how slow and sluggish this engine has been compared to my old one.

Cool beans. Thanks for your help. I will stop at the store on my way home from work tonight and grab some Lucas. So after the break in I should feel a performance boost? Its kind of disappointing how slow and sluggish this engine has been compared to my old one.
Yes it will improve and getting the jetting right will be huge difference as the stock jet is usually to big (rich) and never really runs clean unless going up hill lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back