New 80cc clutch stuck in gear(no neutral)

graucho

Local time
5:23 AM
This is my second 80cc installation. The first was smooth, after installation I peddled as normal, released the clutch lever and "bingo" off we went. My second brand new install the clutch is "in gear" out of the package. I push the bike and the engine turns over. (I cant peddle normally,wont go into neutral) I havent started it up yet. My question is, if I peddle it and start it, will it get the tranny parts moving inside and release it so it will pop into neutral when called for. Or shoud there be a spring pushing the small rod out tward the clutch swing arm cover? Id appreciate any info. Thanks graucho.

I dont see why you shouldn't start it, it might fix it, or it could be the problem you mentioned with the spring. But getting her moving shouldnt hurt.

Be sure that all the parts are installed! Not only the little rod, but also the ball bearing behind it. Before I would start it up I would take the right side cover off and give it a good looking over and check. It might hurt something awful if it started and then you couldn't get it shut off quick if you needed to!

Papa

Be sure that all the parts are installed! Not only the little rod, but also the ball bearing behind it. Before I would start it up I would take the right side cover off and give it a good looking over and check. It might hurt something awful if it started and then you couldn't get it shut off quick if you needed to!

Papa

I agree totally. Check this thread and look at the diagrams http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4554&highlight=clutch+bearing it's part #24 on the specs list , thanks davo and kronic.

Last edited by a moderator:
the Clutch..

The Clutch pressure plate is a flex plate which is your spring. Check the Star nut and make sure it is tight. Sounds to me like it is lose. Also... There is no such thing as an 80cc engine kit. Not from Asia . Thanks.. Enjoy the ride...

Thanks to all from graucho

Thanks to all that responded. What I did was... took off all covers and took a peek. Everything seemed in place> the little rod and ball bearing was there. So... I took out the spark plug (to reduce compression) put in 2 drops of oil for lubrication, went out for a 1/2 block ride with the clutch stuck on. YEA! since this was a brand new install something must have been hung=up from thick grease or a tranny part was'nt seated. But taking it out for a peddal (without starting it) must have moved everything into place. Thanks again. Graucho

Excellent! I think this is the second post about clutches not releasing on new HT's until the motor has been spun a bit. I wonder if this is the start of a trend.

Glad to hear things are working for you.

BTW, is that a NWChoppers frame and for you have pictured in your avatar??

Dan

New Build, Clutch engaged, cant get in to Neutral

I have had the SAME thing happen to me. I am just putting this thing together. It hasnt been ridden yet. The motor has been engaged since I got it out of the box. I tried all the suggestons listed in this post. The bearing and the rod are in there. With the left cover off I tried to push the rod in ad it wont give. I have tried with the left cover on and the clutch arm. I have pulled off the right side, and it looks like everything is in place. I have put a socket on the nut by the clutch and manually turned the engine over, hoping that it knock something back in to place like Graucho.

Hopefully others have had this happen, and Im missing something. There may be another suggestion out there, or a bid of confidence !!!

Back