New Automatic Shifting 3 Speed Bicycle Hub

zean

Local time
2:36 AM
I read that Bafang, the huge e-bike motor manufacturer in China, has come out with a 3 speed automatic shifting bicycle hub for pedal bikes and e-bikes both that can handle 90n-m of torque, comes with different shift points to compensate for different sizes of wheel rims and uses either a chain or gates carbon belt drive. It said that the automatic removes the clutter of a gear shifter on the handlebars and a cable running to the rear hub. This drive train component should work good with a shift kit.

I read that Bafang, the huge e-bike motor manufacturer in China, has come out with a 3 speed automatic shifting bicycle hub for pedal bikes and e-bikes both that can handle 90n-m of torque, comes with different shift points to compensate for different sizes of wheel rims and uses either a chain or gates carbon belt drive. It said that the automatic removes the clutter of a gear shifter on the handlebars and a cable running to the rear hub. This drive train component should work good with a shift kit.
When doing threads on such subjects post links, pictures, videos etc... Here's one of several links:

Is this only used with mid drives? If so isn't a 7 speed cassette better for more choices in gearing?

Sidewinder Jerry, thank you for posting the link. I realize that you’re correct and it’s a cop out that I don’t know how to post pictures… . However, I retired 5 years ago and my retirement has not worked out the way I planned. I’m busier than a blind gopher in a cactus patch. When I get a lull in the action I’ll deal with that.

Is this only used with mid drives? If so isn't a 7 speed cassette better for more choices in gearing?
Yes, a 7-speed cassette or freewheel would presumably give you a wider range in gearing, however, Bafang doesn't say what the three gears' ratio is. The old Sturmey-Archer "wide ratio" 3-speed hubs gave you 0.75; 1.00; 1.33 ratios, which was fine for around town but not enough for trail riding. Two big advantages of this Bafang are (1) The ability to use a belt drive -- quieter, less messy than a chain, and works better on sand, and (2) You don't need any shifter at all, so one less thing to think about and one less thing to fail, on the trail. I sure hope it's relatively water- and sand-proof, for beach riding!

Yes, a 7-speed cassette or freewheel would presumably give you a wider range in gearing, however, Bafang doesn't say what the three gears' ratio is. The old Sturmey-Archer "wide ratio" 3-speed hubs gave you 0.75; 1.00; 1.33 ratios, which was fine for around town but not enough for trail riding. Two big advantages of this Bafang are (1) The ability to use a belt drive -- quieter, less messy than a chain, and works better on sand, and (2) You don't need any shifter at all, so one less thing to think about and one less thing to fail, on the trail. I sure hope it's relatively water- and sand-proof, for beach riding!
I use to have a motorized bike that shifted 7 engine driven gears automatically. Even with 1.6 hp and a reduction of 49.21:1 in 1st gear; I still had to give it a lot of pedal assist to get 350 lbs total weight up a 25+% grade hill. This is why I said use a 3000w motor with this 3 speed system.

I have been eyeballing one of these for a wheel build. I miss my SRAM DualDrive, awesome range, worked great with 750W. I'd mainly use the 3-speed as a range adjuster.

I imagine this would work as well on a shifter m/b. You'd have the cluster for free-shifting, would need clutch to change the internal hub. Worse case, ya'd have to stop.
Screenshot_20220622-105931_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back