New beginning

I noticed around town in the bike shop/shops that they have ebikes, 500w and 750w.

Rode one and there is no comparrison to even my little ebike, theirs only go 15 to 20mph. The cost starts at $2500 and goes up to $3800 lol

So, a 1000w 48v 20ah system on a 26" bike, with a battery for the 750w (on road) and a battery for the 1000w (off road they say lol) might cost $800 or less to build.

Could sell then for $1200 to $1700?.... giving the buyer the option to cruise with the bigger battery or not....does this make sense?

Ride Safe ya MotorBicycle Nuts! :)

HP
Sounds about right, LOL retail markup is usually at least 40% .

LiFePO4 battery Vs Li-Ion battery

Which is the prefered for Electric bikes?

Ride Safe! :)

HP

Check the number of charge cycles the battery types can deliver. A decent LiFePo battery should be able to deliver as much as 5 times the lifespan as a standard Li-ion battery. 3000+ charge cycles is realistic.

Really? Have you actually compared the two? Lower voltage lower discharge rate's lower energy density than li-ion doesn't seem worth it for an ebike!With high loads and rapid charging the lifepo batteries do not last longer or have more power compared to the li-ion or a li-po there only advantage is they are safer to use.

Really? Have you actually compared the two? Lower voltage lower discharge rate's lower energy density than li-ion doesn't seem worth it for an ebike!With high loads and rapid charging the lifepo batteries do not last longer or have more power compared to the li-ion or a li-po there only advantage is they are safer to use.
And they typically cost more don't forget.

Dont' get me wrong. I use a li-ion battery. It's the cheapest battery in the short run. I do notice after 5000 miles of use, the battery capacity has decreased. Having a battery charge/discharge monitor I have noticed that my 52v battery (stated by the mfr. to be 14s and charges to 58.8 volts) has decreased from a rated 30 amp hour to only a realistic 19 amp hour, and is NOT increasing. In 2 years time, this cannot possibly equate to more than 750 charge cycles. Kind of a disappointing end, and I know that a replacement of the same BTR battery cannot be any better.

After research, I realized that if I increase my initial layout from 500 bucks to 2000 bucks, I can gain a battery that gives me 100 ah instead of 30 ah. In addition, the rating on the LiFePo battery is greater than 3000 cycles. These are made for power backup systems. I get over 3 times the capacity in addition to 4 times the cycle life. 12 times the usable power divided by 4 times the cost = 300% power gain for the same cost.

Of course the voltage swing between full charge and discharged will be different than a Li-ion battery, but the usable watt-hours is the actual useful figure that should be used here.

If my bike supports the weight, size and other aspects (LiFePo is a little larger), for longevity it seems the LiFePo is still the preferred choice.

I went with the Li-Ion this time instead of the LiFePO4 gel pack BTR battery.

Both BTR batteries. I notice the drop from 60v 35ah to the 48v 30ah battery...only uphills it seems since i don't go over 30MPH anymore.

The battery that took a few tumbles with the bike charges and goes about 3 miles before shut down, LiFePO4 gel pack BTR battery.
I took the cover off to get to the BMS..and the Cells...each cell is 3.8v except for 2 cells which read 3.4v, so i'm not sure if it can be the BMS onboard
or the 2 low voltage cells. Are the 2 lower volate cells the balancing cells?

I know nothing about this :D

Gonna search for both i guess..replace the BMS first and see what happens

Ride Safe! :)

HP

I don't think you will find a 16 series 48 volt battery management system as I've only ever seen 13 series of cells to get 48v. Is it some kind of weird battery chemistry with lower voltage to need 16 series?

Back