New beginning

Battery and the torque arms got here today.
Set the LCD computer and cruised around pretty nicely.

Was cruising around not paying attention then looked down and it said i was going 38mph

Hill climbing was not as good as I'd thought.
A hill the gas bike climbs at 28mph, the ebike took at around 15mph, no less than that so seems alright, had to peddle a bit but
it seems like a good trade off from the gas bike so far.

It's a good thing i didn't ride far today, but at the speed i was going this could have been bad.

I was inspecting the rear rack and noticed it was cracked at the weld where it meets the seat tube collar.

Taking that off and going to use an old back pack for the battery, don't want to risk it, it gave me a ride today and now i am addicted :D

So, backpack with battery in it and down the road we go again.

Going to check pout out the bike shop for a well made heavy duty rear rack tomorrow.

Ride Safe Everyone! :cool:

HP

Well, I got the hole cut in the backpack, sealed up the edges with iron on patches.

Routed the harness out the right lower side, works well in my opinion.
Took a ride around the block, it doesn't feel heavy really, I've got a cushy seat that actually holds a bit of the weight
so I may just look for a huge mid bike triangle pack tomorrow, or keep the baclpack backpack battery :unsure:

Consumer Alert LOL
That schwinn rear rack as seen in the picture on the first page is not rated for anything over 2 pounds, in my opinion :D

I am so glad I seen this crack in the weld before I rode it in the morning.

Took it off, tossed it on the ground and it broke, go figure that one out :oops:

Sort of diggin the backpack thing, just need the morining to come so I can ride and test that out :p

@FurryOnTheInside That ebike you have. That looks like what is in the US called a scooter, but I see you have peddles on yours.

Is that hard to peddle?

Consumer Alert LOL
That schwinn rear rack as seen in the picture on the first page is not rated for anything over 2 pounds, in my opinion :D

I am so glad I seen this crack in the weld before I rode it in the morning.

Took it off, tossed it on the ground and it broke, go figure that one out :oops:

Sort of diggin the backpack thing, just need the morining to come so I can ride and test that out :p

@FurryOnTheInside That ebike you have. That looks like what is in the US called a scooter, but I see you have peddles on yours.

Is that hard to peddle?
My emo-ped as I like to call it would be classed as a moped if anyone was actually bothered. It has functional pedals and an automatic pedal assist like an e-bike, but it also has a manual throttle handle and a motor of above 250W power.
Delete the pedal cranks and it's a motorscooter or electric motorcycle and licences supposedly apply, or you'd limit to 3mph, the electric wheelchair speed.
I am supposed to not have the twist throttle, apparently. Nobody cares or knows. Silly story, no one seems to mind me riding by.
The extra wide square taper bottom bracket and short pedal cranks appear to be taken straight from standard cheap ICE moped parts. They accept 9/16" pedals.
They are very short so they must be geared very low so that they can be used at all. This means that they can only be used at the start.
It is hard to pedal because of impractical short-arm low-gear design, but at times when the motor is off there is also the issue of magnetic braking when the direct drive (non-geared) hub motor is completely switched off.
I would love an emo-ped with a narrower Q factor so that the crank arms can be longer (without needing to be higher), so that the sprockets can be geared higher, so that I can pedal usefully at higher road speeds, without losing the ability to also aid the trafficlights launch.

I said that rack was trouble. 😅

38mph is the unloaded or max speed on flat? What is the unloaded speed, wheel lifted off the ground?
37.5% of the unloaded speed is an inefficient climb. Spinning at closer to 80% of the unloaded speed is more efficient, and produces less heat. I wonder how close to it you can get. 🤔
Reducing your voltage reduces the unloaded speed.
So are you getting a 36v battery for the hills now? 🤩

Technical bit ☺
What voltages will your controller take? Does it say KT36/48 on it? 🤓
Did it take long to set it up for the voltage you plugged in? Could it be done mid-ride? 🤨
Will the controller supply the same amperage current, so 3/4 of the wattage if you run it from a 36v battery on the hill or will it bump up the current? I would presume that current will be the same so you're reducing the motor speed and it's most efficient RPM to something that is closer to what it can sustain on the hill, but you have lower wattage too so climbing the hill is also slower.
You can carry two controllers everywhere and have the lower voltage controller a little higher in amperage to keep up the wattage.. I'm sure it is a valid option.. 🤔

That rack would have been trouble :p :D
38mph I had just looked down when i noticed I was going faster, at a higher rate of speed on a flat.
Not sure what the unloaded speed is :oops:

Controler 48/52 It took about 7 minutes to get everything set up and I don't think I'd do that mid ride :unsure:

Way ahead of ya :p Got 2 controlers and set up differently.
Watching vids and talking to some technicians about modifications.

Ride Safe! :cool:

HP

Not many use the backpack battery but some do. If it can fit mid frame, just make or buy a housing for it. Mid drive would definitely help for hill climbing; I can go up a hill at 35mph :cautious:. The hub has one gear/winding seems they wind those for speed. Better help peddle up hill from a stop or get some speed into going up the hill. Remember 1000W is literally just 1.25hp that is not much when compared to gas bikes but of course it is silent and a bit more efficient.

Kinda like the backpack for ease of use and the portability for the time being. Ok, so I am leaning towards building a mid drive also.

This bike, since it's silent, will be good for the downtown area with all of the buildings that reverberate the gas bike sounds :D

It does have some speed though lol

Back