New Belgium Fat Tire Cruiser

I plan to motorize this bike. I think it will be pretty cool when completed. The motor is on order. I'll keep you posted with pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 6,901
I ordered the engine called the "Phantom Kit" from bicycle-engines.com. It was $229. The lunch box is the the container for the gas tank, since the bike already has one.

Are sprockets for coaster hubs pretty standardized? How do you change them? I know how to disassemble a coaster hub and adjust cones, but I don't know how the cog comes off unless it comes with the screw too.

Where do you get different cogs in USA?

Here is a picture of the bike currently. I'm waiting for the pedal side rear sprocket before I can install both chains. I am happy to say that I was able to modify the chain guard to make it work. It should be here Friday.

fat tire cruiser

The phantom engine kit includes a heavy duty hub. I paid about $100 to have a bike shop re-lace the new hub to my rim. The set up is pretty cool. The sprocket for the motor doesn't attach to the spokes, rather it threads on to the hub itself. It's the same on the pedal side. The kit includes a drum brake that's hand operated that also attaches to the axle.

Oh wow. That sounds delux. So it takes a BMX style freewheel then?

Yeah the sprocket on the spokes is a last ditch, cheap *** way to do it. The kit makers tell you set up is easy, but I bet its a real bear to get that sucker lined up. Its probably easier to lace and tighten a wheel. I've built wheels for several years. Its not hard, but set up is critical, and its time consuming.

Nice Build! Let me know If I can help! Or if you wanna go for a ride!

P.S. Those hubs are great for single speeds! I think you can get multi speed freewheels for them too!

Last edited:
Back