New bike build - gas / electric hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

liaemars

Local time
11:17 AM
I am making a new bike. Finally. I am making a gas and electric hybrid.
I just got this bike today. I ordered ZB-Jet80-SR Silver slant motorized 80cc bicycle motor gas racing engine bike kit from ebay. The idea is to install the motor first in the middle. and hoping there is enough room near the top for battery pack and controller. I have a brushed hub 26" wheel 350 w 36v. I am putting my triple forks bomber racing for shocks in the front <$4,000 shocks>. For now I am gonna have to use my oversize mountain bike bars.
I am using both cause up north I get temps at 30 celsius below or colder with wind. I cant use the electric. Idea have a gas motor as backup. I will have to have 2 throttle grips on each side.
In the warmer weather can use gas motor or electric or both. wonder how much torque and speed will get off that. I guess close to 100km per hour with both open up.
I start building the bike this weekend and will upload pics as I progress.
I had to get this frame for one make it easier to install both kits. Learnt a few lessons. My right hand will have the motor controls and not need much for the electric.
Thats the project in short.

Instead of a throttle grip on each side, which would seem very difficult to get used to(not to mention hilarious to try to use both at the same time like you say) have you considered a traditional twist throttle with a thumb throttle mounted under it? That way you can use either or both, and it would be more natural than fumbling with a left hand grip

Also, if both are driving the same wheel I would guess the power and gearing would have to be balanced pretty evenly so one motor isn't acting as a restriction to the other or being overreved. I have seen a site that sells gas+electric combo bikes (forgot the name but they specialize in Stingrays) but didn't pay attention to how they were set up - not sure if only one motor works at a time or if they have synced them somehow. May be worth looking into.

I think most people have front hub electric and rear gas. This also has the benefit of risk management. In case one system fails, the other system is not affected. Also, I wouldn't risk the rear electric hub with the chain tensioner and pineapple sprocket mount. If you already have the rear hub, make sure the tensioner and sprocket is 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back