New... bike stopped getting spark

Rogue..

Local time
2:24 PM
I bought a new bike with kit installed. New engine, brought it home drove it about a mile then it backfired and cut off. Stopped getting spark. Bought a new magento and cdi decided to upgrade plug as well, The book that came with the kit suggested a NGK BP-L gapped to .6 or .7 if needed. Installed all new parts with plug gapped at .6. Btw I redid all the wiring to make sure they weren't crossing.blue to blue and black to black, killswith red to blue, and black to black Bike started 1st try drove it about a mile and it did the same thing backfired and died. No spark again tested magento reads normal 332 ohms can't get a reading on cdi though. Could anyone tell me why I lost spark. Also tried new new plug in old cdi and magneto set up no spark till I replaced the cdi the 1st time. Can someone help me please

bummer, 2 CDIs going bad real fast and one right after the other isn't unheard of, but it is pretty rare - what did the guy that built it say about it? did he run it OK before he sold it?

He said it's still in the break-In but said it runs good. I believe he just put together said he's been doing it for about 10 years. That he's built about 100 of them. Got another one at the same time. It's running with no problems.

The one that blew the cdi' s seemed to pull stronger than the other when it was running. Was kinda jumpy at the start though. I've checked magnet it's at the 1 o'clock position. Timing should be good.

And the only thing wrong is the CDI then right? Swap the running bike's cdi out onto the not running bike, if it runs that's the answer, if not then it's not the answer.

A backfire if timed wrong on a single speed direct drive could put enough compression under a head to bust a gasket or even the head itself if it's not evenly torqued.

I replaced it with a new cdi and it ran good for a about a mile. The it did the same thing. I did happen to be going over a rough spot in the road when it blew the 2nd time. I have a high performance cdi coming in the mail tomorrow. Think it could have just been bad luck or maybe the jolt from the rough spot messed with The coil connection to The plug?

He said it's still in the break-In but said it runs good. I believe he just put together said he's been doing it for about 10 years. That he's built about 100 of them. Got another one at the same time. It's running with no problems.

something don't sound right - built 100, but wont fix a dead one that he built?

I haven't asked him too he lives far away. I'm trying to learn everything myself it's actually a very simple engine not much to it. I'll give him a call in the morning. I'll put a new cdi in tomorrow and keep u guys posted. Thanks for the take the time to reply.

Back