New brake cable mystery part?

artmaker

Local time
8:46 AM
Hi, rear brakes seem impossible to adjust. I finally broke down and just took it to a bike shop. Was willing to be gouged over 100.00 because there is a motor on the bike. Nevermind it's a brand new one, no gas, never had, dont even have the gas tank installed yet and they aren't working on that, just the brake.
When I got there, he looked at it, and it seems the cable is rubbing across the rear fender. He also commented on how he hates the type of noodle I had. He wanted to put on a new cable, noodle and cut a slot in the fender. BUT since there is a motor…...

(Yea ranting, still miffed.)

Anyway, after leaving it there for two days and no one wanted to touch it, I came and got it. Said just sell me a new cable, noodle and I'll be on my way.

Thinking about his fender cutting, this was how the bike was made. Fender is in the only place it can be, not like that can be adjusted. Brake is built into the bike, not like they moved.
BUT removing that old cable WAS tough. I can see why he didn't like the noodle. There is a plastic sleeve around the cable that must have got sticky over time. That cable really couldn't move so no wonder I couldn't get the brake to work. Glad I got the new cable.

BUT… I go to put it on, there is a part between the ball that goes into the hand grip, and the metal end of the housing. My old brake line, and the front one does not have this part. The metal housing tip slides right into the handle. I called and asked about it only to be told "once they sell a part they don't help anymore but I could bring it in." Yea NO! Never going there again…. (yea ok, still miffed.)

Anyway, I'm posting a picture. This part does NOT fit into the slotted end of the handle.

Also the brake end of this line has another metal part attached to the cable so it's not like I can pull the cable out, remove this odd part and put it back.
Wondering now if the guy didn't give me the wrong cable????

IMG_0116.JPG

Well ya know what? Just thinking I could cut off the odd end, slide this bit off, only guess what. The cable is too short. They HAD the bike in their shop but still handed me the wrong cable.
I also bought a replacement derailleur cable (however I had ordered a spare off ebay too) The ebay one came first and I put it on already.
HIS? WAY too long. And it has the same stupid part.

Meanwhile… since I have to bring his parts back anyway, the next bike shop in line is right down the road. I just took off the old derailleur and will bring in all my old cables. Will buy parts there.

I found out this much, NO BIKE SHOP no matter how much money I'm willing to be gouged, will even touch this thing. Found a little local shop, lady on the phone, OMG. Went OFF on me as to how dangerous these are.
Yea well… I got hit in traffic in chicago as a kid a LOT more often than any issues I ever had on my motorized bike. (Once by the former Mayer Daily. The old one. NO joke. Him and his mob pushed me darn near right into traffic to get to his car. Turd. I'll never forget that. I must have been about 10 at the time.)

ANyway off to bike shops I go.

I agree just pull off the cable end cover thingy. Also you should have a pack of them really so you don't always need to be able to reuse them.
The mystery part is for fitting to road (drop) bar levers I think. It isn't supposed to be on there. . .
Is the cable OD 5mm or 4mm?

That cable was too short. Took it back. (Incompetent fools, NEVER going there again.)
Went to another shop, needed a new derailleur anyway. Took in the old, got one similar. (Oh boy I remember what a royal pain it is to adjust gears. Haven't done that in ages. Looks easy on youtube. In reality, lots of tweeking, re tweeking, again and again. Finally got it though.)

ALSO…. ha, that idiot telling me I had to cut my fender? Um no, a simple home made piece to better anchor it did the trick. It's on there more solid than it's ever been and completely clears the brake thing. Got that all good.

All that's left now, hook up the gas tank, figure out why my kill switch has two wires but the motor only has one, (might just tie up that wire for now.) Fill er up and hope the darn motor actually starts.
Then it will either be a major happy dance, or majorly crying here.

Back