New build clinking

jacobn48

Local time
2:05 PM
This is my second build. I'm using a 66cc flying horse epa certified kit from amazon prime. It's a bike berry engine. My problem this time is clinking when the engine is engaged. I'm using a no 41 chain and tried others with the same or worse issues. You would think it's the chain causing the problem but it doesn't seem to be. Chain is tight, using hub adapter, it's all inline perfect on this one. You would chain was hitting rear mount stud but it's not. I tried shaving inside clutch cover. It hapens when your giving torque to take off, it never gets over 5mph clunk clunk. I appreciate your help

i doubt its epa certified. Too tight chain can clink. It could also be not aligned properly or hitting your frame. be VERY sure its not doing any of that. I heard kind of a raking sound because it was too tight. Clinking could also be the engine not tightened enough and moving around.

This is my second build. I'm using a 66cc flying horse epa certified kit from amazon prime. It's a bike berry engine. My problem this time is clinking when the engine is engaged. I'm using a no 41 chain and tried others with the same or worse issues. You would think it's the chain causing the problem but it doesn't seem to be. Chain is tight, using hub adapter, it's all inline perfect on this one. You would chain was hitting rear mount stud but it's not. I tried shaving inside clutch cover. It hapens when your giving torque to take off, it never gets over 5mph clunk clunk. I appreciate your help
how is the sprocket in your rims how about when you pedal does it do the same noise and if it doesn't do the same noise when you're pedaling and for sure it's the motor

how is the sprocket in your rims how about when you pedal does it do the same noise and if it doesn't do the same noise when you're pedaling and for sure it's the motor
[/QUOTE
It's a regular cnc style hub adapter. No it doesnt seem to do the same when you petal. It doesn't seem to be what you call chain noise, it made me think it was the chain, or spring tensioner. I put the stock tensioner on it, same issue. It seems to do it when you give it gas while the chains engaged. I did see slight marks on the clutch cover and cut and grinded that spot out still the same

Some of the Happy Time engine side chain sprockets have really tall and rather squarish tipped teeth that could use a little grinding to a more pyramid shape. With the bike on it center stand disengage the clutch and watch the chain's action as you pedal the rear wheel forward. Some if not most of those teeth will 'hang' or cause a slight chain jump as it engages and disengages the sprocket teeth. file or grind them uniformly. Don't reduce their height, just make their tips pointier. Also note that all of these sprockets are machined off center to some degree, more or less, there's not a lot you can do about this except to set the chain tension at the very tightest point to about 3/8ths" to half inch free play.

Back