New Build: HF 79cc, Full Suspension, Extra-long MB

Hi All -

Thanks for your comments. Here are a couple of answers: The chain and the pivot... I suspect that if going over bumps during a hard pull, the chain will be pulled really tight when the wheel returns downward. To avoid snapping the chain or having the back wheel pulled out of place, I may have to place a spring loaded tension arm on the pulling side of the chain to lift it up and provide slack to the wheel after coming off the bump. I don't know yet what will work; probably a piece of steel with a little curvature in it to provide chain lift, yet allow the chain to slide sideways when changing gears. I may provide a surface of plastic like a half-moon-shaped cutting board for the chain to slide over during operation. Will it work? I have to try before judging. If this proves to be a real problem, I will simply remove the shock absorber and substitute the proper length of electrical conduit or steel water pipe; very easy to do.

The pivoting shaft took quite a bit of work. In a quick summary: I cut away the bottom bracket housing of a third steel bike(from discard pile), split it, and added the halves to widen the bottom bracket housing of the second donor bike to just fit between the dropouts of the Mtn Tek bike. A 3/8 inch diameter bolt (8 inches long) from Ace Hardware and some thick wall spacers and washers (3/8 inch internal diameter, 5/8 inch outside diameter) act as a solid shaft for inexpensive 5/8 inch internal diameter bearings that just barely fit in the lengthened bracket housing when the nut on the end of the bolt is tightened down. (Use a Dremel grinding wheel to open the internal diameter of the three-piece housing; it does not take too much effort. I used MEK solvent and JB Weld on the bearing and housing surfaces to seal the bearings into place. Don't get sloppy with JB Weld!) The 3/8 inch diameter bolt just fits where the bicycle shaft fits. For max housing strength, I recommend hot welding the bracket housing assembly. The installed bearings can slide back and forth maybe half a millimeter on the compressed shaft while between the dropouts. This ensures the dropouts don't pinch the bearings when turning fairly hard on the nut of the axle. The additional housing width eliminates wobble when the wheel is rotating. The extending frame should pivot easily and not display signs of binding.

Long-winded explanation? Yes. Hard to envision? It sure is. But this assembly is not found at any bike shop, infomercial, or anyplace else. Each one will be as unique as they can be.

MikeJ

Attachments

• 100_1535.jpg
    100_1535.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 285
Hi Everybody -

I started building my bike a few months back, and finally started testing it during the past few days. I took out the rear spring that I displayed in earlier photos and placed in a solid tube. During the first day of testing, I had a chain problem... The extra long drive chain was "bouncing" up and down during acceleration, causing problems with handling.

I solved my problem. Recall my bike's long drive chain was "bouncing", causing my bike to "pulse" forward. I figured that if I could stop the bouncing, the pulsing would stop. Here is my fix:

Went to Ace Hardware (spent LOTS of money there). I purchased a length of their large diameter plastic (silicon?) tube. See photos. I also purchased a 5/8 inch solid shaft, eight inches long. They had 5/8 inch diameter bolts for less than $3 each (Great! No cutting involved!). I already had the inexpensive Ace roller bearings of 5/8 inch internal diameter, which just happen to fit perfectly inside the plastic tube! Nice fit! The shaft rested nicely in the frame valley, the 2 inch length of tube rotated without friction, the chain rested on top of the relatively soft plastic, and placed a very slight apex angle in the chain when it was under tension. I fastened it all down with intent to make it easy to remove if necessary. So visually, it is not real pretty. But it works! (You may need to rotate the second photo; I had to upload it as you see it.)

During an 8-mile test ride late today, the chain rode over this "chain idler". The idler rotated at chain speed, and made not a sound whatsoever. And accelerate as hard as I tried, there was no chain bounce! Hooray! Another engineering problem solved! With readily available parts!

Now about that 79 cc HF engine... In the 2000 to 2400 rpm range, that little engine likes to produce some serious torque pulses during its power stroke. Given the length of my bike frame and its inherent flexing, my bike does quite a bit of shaking until the engine gets over 2400 rpm. Then the bike settles down and rides as expected. I noted some other unexpected additional random shaking. Then I realized that was from the imperfect road surface.

At my altitude (currently in Albuquerque) of 5500 feet, I looked up derating an engine because of high altitude. At full throttle, gasoline engines are derated. One chart I found derated at 3 percent for every 1,000 feet above sea level. So I am at a slight disadvantage compared to sea-level bikes in all-out acceleration and wide-open throttle top end.

I added a cargo basket and some rear attention-getting lights. The brake light is wired to go full bright when I squeeze the rear brake handle; it is an LED truck light powered by a 12 volt sealed lead acid battery. The strobe flasher (from Radio Shack about 16 years ago) is a real attention getter in the dark. I safety-wired it down so it will not break loose if I hit a nasty pothole. Now I just need some headlights, red reflectors, and the air horn that I already have. Then I am ready for night riding!

Given that long exhaust pipe, I don't think a lawnmower muffler would do much more.... I think it runs reasonably quiet as it is. There is certainly NO chain noise!

The bike is in its break-in phase right now. It has only 18 miles on it. Nothing has broken (yet). It needs more stress testing. In a couple of weeks, I may take it to the east to a town about 30 miles from here. There is a 7,000 foot pass between here and there. I think the bike and I will make it if I don't overrev the engine.

That is my long-winded story. I will probably have more to write in the future....

MikeJ

Attachments

• 100_1592.JPG
    100_1592.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 280
  • 100_1593.JPG
    100_1593.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 100_1594.JPG
    100_1594.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 296
  • 100_1595.JPG
    100_1595.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 288
  • 100_1597.JPG
    100_1597.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_1598.JPG
    100_1598.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 100_1599.JPG
    100_1599.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 270
  • 100_1600.JPG
    100_1600.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 275
  • 100_1602.JPG
    100_1602.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 265
MikeJ,
Lookin good.
Not sure how long that silicone tubing roller will last? You may want to look into Terratrike idlers if it tears up quickly. They are very popular among the recumbent bike crowd & work well.
-lowracer-

Cheap chain tensioner!

I built a recumbent from an old BMX frame. I needed a chain tensioner so I got a muffler (U bolt) clamp and an old derailleur. I just put the U bolt where I thought it should go on the frame then bolted the derailleur to the lower leg of the U bolt using washers and an extra Nylock nut. Ran the chain through there and worked excellent! Cost: less than $2.00 for the muffler clamp! Wish I had a photo of it, but I think it is pretty straight forward. A Huffy MTB derailleur has a longer cage so it allows for more chain take up. (Gotta love those low end Huffys! :bowdown:).

Last edited:
I also used a U bolt and an in-line skate wheel on one leg of the bolt as a chain idler. I put the wheel on a bolt and tightened it so it could not spin. I put a round file in a vice, chucked the bolt in a drill and held the wheel against the file until I got the groove I needed to keep the chain in place. Bolted the wheel to the U bolt. Worked very well!

Back