NEW BUYERS ! Would you buy one of these motors ??????

WE are all here for our own reasons, & rude comments/name calling is not one of them.

I bought one too.

The question here is not if we are all idiots, We are, at least to some extent. I mean to clairify that. If it weren't for the HT kit that I first purchased, I would not have any motored bike now. But given - the overall poor quality of my kit, if somebody had warned me ahead of time I would not have bought it. There are better quality kits around now so at least buy one from a reputable source. And I have a piece or two left of the original kit so it wasn't a complete loss. Sorry if I offended anyone.

The Happy Time to me is the very definition of.. a MIRACLE.

I have never in my life owned an engine so simple so primeval so WONDERFUL.

I mean the carburetor DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ADJUSTING SCREWS!!

There's a little notch in the needle you can adjust the clip up and down..

The Happy Time is a tinkerer's DREAM and the longer I can keep mine running the MANLIER I feel!!

Mine has exceeded 2,000 miles. It pretty much collects dust for my rack mount is so much smoother and better respected out on the trails (it's quieter and I can hide my engine if you look at me coming your direction)

But I tell you. After a long ride on Cronus my Rack mount sometimes I like to hop on to MOOP my Happy Time and go around the block the long way. It's just so much more manly. I opened up the exhaust. Also,look at all the different modifications on this forum surrounding this engine. Clutch mods,Choke mods. Exhaust mods. Boost Bottles. Beer cans as air boxes. Beer cans as mock mufflers. Even those little rubber pieces that go between them fins. I find myself literally LAUGHING when I finish a ride on MOOP.It goes beyond giggling.

The Happy Time engine has a rough start to begin with too. It's even a Miracle in itself how it ends up in our hands. It starts in China where laborers work for practically free according to our standards and make the parts for these engines. Then it comes thru customs as engine parts. I mean you cannot even pass this thing fully assembled.
Then when it reaches our shores it gets put together by who knows who and then it is sold thru our vendors and/or e-bay.

One day I predict in a few years the Happy Time may die a horrible death. The engine may get outed as not passing emissions standards. But right now generally our authorities are letting us go for the very definition of just what they are looking at really has not been fully established yet.

But I think it will eventually happen. I also think that some of our bikes may even end up in a museum a hundred years down the road.

I'd like to think that in a hundred years some kid is looking at MOOP and would be thinking just how hard of a life the owner of that bike must have had.

So you get what you pay for.

I like to keep my hands busy and well greased.

I did, did you see the original post? I won't go back and forth with you, but a jokes a joke, sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess all this talk put me to one conclusion the idiots with the happy times(i included) are just more skilled at maintenance then the people with the money for the virtually maintenance free rack mounts, be sides it's the tinkering that us idiots like so if getting our hands dirty in ourder to ride and have a blast makes us idiots then let us be proud idiots!!!

enjoy your rides

alright now...do you have any idea at all who you're talking about? really?

i've put about as many miles on the HT's as anyone, definitely more than the guys tossing insults around. for some who don't know this...i'm the one who made the first beercan aircleaner, I'm the one who named the Happy-Time...but i wised up and now i spend my talents building better bicycles instead of fixing something before i can even go to the store. don't be calling ME out on my qualifications to talk about what i know about.

time to lock the topic?

i ain't gonna back off as long as i have to see these stoopid inferiority-complex attacks on experienced people who are trying to help. many "poor" people are coming here to save money, NOT get into a quirky & cute hobby...they need real transportation, the HT (at it's current level of quality) is NOT real transportation.

Last edited:
In some of my posts I have said that I wouldn't have even considered the HT motors... I rode one today, and with ALL due respect, with the right vibration dampening I'd add one to my MB arsenal. What I'd like to find is someone in my area so I can witness the GEBE experience so many of you rave about. I think the major turnoff with the HT motors is the Chinese aspect and no warranty... I have had issues with my DE kit, but they've taken care of me.

James

I don't know that idiocy has anything to do with anything. People choose different engines for different reasons.

Is money tight, but you're willing to work? The old happy time may be for you.

Is function everything, looks meaningless and money less of an issue? There are quality rack mounts.

Like function, but looks mean a lot and money not a problem? Whizzer, my friends.

There are other choices in between and all around these.

Let's face it- many people who can afford $200 cannot afford $400, $500 or more. Further, it is not necessarily a matter of what you can afford, but what you choose to allocate to this hobby. Frankly, I can afford a new V-Rod, but I bought some property to build a house instead and spent less on my 2 wheeled hobby.

There's nothing wrong with choosing not to spend more. To criticize those who can only afford one option (or choose the lower priced option) or those who can afford more goes against the MBc ethos. We are here to help each other in whatever situation we find our fellow MBers in; not to run people down for making all the same choices we did.

Back