Chain Tensioner New chain tensioner- skateboard wheel

M

macarollo

I lost my original tensioner pulley, so I decided to call a skateboard shop and ask if they had an old used one.

I went and he had a spare parts box and gave me a free wheel with bearings.

I installed it and it works great so far. The wheel is pretty flat. Right now I have no groove carved into it, but I am not so sure that I will even need one. Ideally if I had something to carve a groove in it that would make it better.

If I do another built I may just get another skateboard wheel since it seems to work much better.

i took an inline skate wheel lathed a grove in the center and mounted it to a dynamo mount and put it as a top tensioner got tired of the chain flopping around. thought about doing the same to the bottom also.

I lost my original tensioner pulley, so I decided to call a skateboard shop and ask if they had an old used one.

I went and he had a spare parts box and gave me a free wheel with bearings.

I installed it and it works great so far. The wheel is pretty flat. Right now I have no groove carved into it, but I am not so sure that I will even need one. Ideally if I had something to carve a groove in it that would make it better.

If I do another built I may just get another skateboard wheel since it seems to work much better.

Great think'in macarollo. Great job. I'd have to groove one since my chain needs a little help with direction. graucho

You can mount the wheel on a spindle, tight, and then mount the spindle in a drill press and then all you need is turn it on and rub a file in the needed spot

I also used a fat longboard/skateboard wheel because inline wheel was too narrow for my purpose.

You just know that the wheel and bearing might last longer than the bike.

Thanks for the advice on teh bolts and set of nuts, I did it and I just finished a nice skate board wheel tensioner, I'll post pics later..

My chain also needed encouragement to remain on track on my skateboard wheel. I used your suggestion, chucked the wheel into my 1/2" electric dril and grooved it with a half-round file.

Thanks for the tip, RedGreen.l

Back