New DAX 49cc 4 stroke project

N

nwguy

Thought I'd share pictures of the beginnings of my new project. Got a 49cc DAX 4-stroke from www.thatsdax.com, along with the 5:1 PTO (gear reducer). Pretty cool gear reducer. It's got a dry clutch, but wet gear housing. I ran this engine today for the first time and was impressed with how quiet it was. It's nice and light too, only marginally heavier than the Honda GX35. The reported horsepower rating seems to vary from 1.5 hp (less than the GX35) to between 2 and 3 hp. We'll see. The first pic attached to this post is a photoshop mockup of the bike with a wooden flatbed over the rear wheel. It'll have a jackshaft that'll let the motor use the bike's freewheel on the rear wheel for probably seven gears. Should be a good hill climber plus fast on flat ground. Will add more pics as this progresses.

MBC EDIT: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MERGED

Attachments

• mb1.jpg
    mb1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,069
  • mb2.jpg
    mb2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,061
  • mb3.jpg
    mb3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,026
Last edited by a moderator:
Progress on DAX 50cc bike with Jackshaft

I would have appended my last post on this, but I couldn't find it. So anyway, the frame on this bike is nearly complete except for struts supporting the middle and back of the cargo bed. The jackshaft is complete, with bearings and freewheel adapters from Staton Inc. I brazed a set of steel chainrings to a BMX freewheel cog to make a freewheeling driven cog for the engine. The bike rides well, and the jackshaft works well for pedaling. Next step is to mount the engine. The last picture link below shows the chainrings brazed to the BMX freewheel.

Attachments

• P4060001.JPG
    P4060001.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 863
  • P4060002.JPG
    P4060002.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 803
  • P4060003.JPG
    P4060003.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 848
  • P4060005.JPG
    P4060005.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 813
  • P4060006.JPG
    P4060006.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 794
Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,
excellent work! I love what you do to a bicycle!

keep it up....we want to see more!!

thanks to ocscully, for finding your original "build" thread.

Last edited:
What is goining on with this thread?

Moderators what is going on with this thread. Why has it been combined with Augies thread and video on clutch spring replacment. It was originally started by Jim/nwguy as a build project for his new cargo hauler bike, and now even though it has the same name (New Dax 49cc Project) it indicates that the thread was started by Augi and the original start of the thread is down at post #6? I'm confused. Jim had trouble finding his original thread earlier in the week and posted an updated set of photos in a new thread, but the two threads were finally combined yesterday afternoon, and now the Clutch replacment video thread has been added to it for some reason?

ocscully

Sorted, moved augis posts into a new thread all about Dax Titan 4 stroke centrifugal clutches if your looking for that.

Jim love the idea! thats a brilliantly innovative project you got going there, cant wait to see the end result!

Moderators what is going on with this thread. Why has it been combined with Augies thread and video on clutch spring replacment. It was originally started by Jim/nwguy as a build project for his new cargo hauler bike, and now even though it has the same name (New Dax 49cc Project) it indicates that the thread was started by Augi and the original start of the thread is down at post #6? I'm confused. Jim had trouble finding his original thread earlier in the week and posted an updated set of photos in a new thread, but the two threads were finally combined yesterday afternoon, and now the Clutch replacment video thread has been added to it for some reason?

ocscully
It's the moderators extreme obsession with keeping things perfectly organized, at least in their mind. They constantly move threads all over the place then no one can find them. Searching is useless. Then they complain that something is "off topic", no matter HOW on topic it is or that you didn't SEARCH through thousands of pages that they scattered all over the place before you posted. Anal retentiveness gone wild. All for a forum about motorizing bicycles. Real serious stuff.

Back