New Drive Train Mount

K

kerf

I finally got around to building and replacing the Staton gear box mounting struts. Since I made the decision, long ago, to employee a spring loaded idler, I didn't need the adjustably of the original struts. Since they would allow the gearbox to "bounce" when hitting bumps, I had pined them into fixed struts soon after the initial installation. While David's system worked, I found it to be heavy, bulky and just plain ugly. I also wanted to incorporate rubber isolator bushings to reduce engine vibration.

Friday, I picked up an 8' bar of 1/4" x 1" flat aluminum and cut my struts and a new idler. The box mounts with 3/8" bolts but I made the mounting bolt holes 9/16" to allow for the bushings. Since I haven't been to resolve runout issues with the Staton freewheel adapter I was using on my output shaft, to facilitate the two speed, I've gone back to a fixed 18.75 / 1 ratio. Shame too, as the shifting was perfect. On the plus side, I cut some more weight and chain noise. I would now put my bike up against a Vespa, as to total noise, probably lose but it would be close.

I went out at 5:30 this morning for a 20 mile run and was very happy with the results. The bike accelerates smoothly and quickly to 40 mph, where it tops out at about 9600 rpm. The exhaust and intake silencers have slowed me some but it was well worth it and I'm also running a little on the rich side. With the 32/1 oil mix, I've got over 1000 miles on this original top end and it's strong as ever, guess I'll live with being slow.

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 374
Very nice work. Looks solid!!
I like your spring loaded tensioner.

you have quite the Control Panel on your handlebars.

The bike accelerates smoothly and quickly to 40 mph, ...
......guess I'll live with being slow.
sorry it runs soooo slow!! :giggle:

Excellent work, kerf. I might try making those same mounts when I install my Staton box.:geek:

Are you still running two sprockets on your Staton box?

I've taken the dual sprocket off for the time being. I made that setup from a Staton 5/8" shaft freewheel adapter, with a couple of track sprockets installed. The bike was surging, in time with sprocket rotation, so I checked both FW adapters for run-out and found .006" & .009". I've emailed David to see if he supply one that's concentric, no answer yet.

the new mounts and idler are very nice indeed, congrats on that.

too bad about the freewheel dilema though, the 2 speed arrangement was an equally well concieved project.

steve

Great, engine runs good, much quieter and it doesn't leak oil. The old ones used exhaust tubing to connect the factory to secondary muffler and leaked like crazy.

Good news for anyone interested, I think I've solved my two speed problems. It's back together and in a short test ride yesterday evening, I has zero surging. When I started out for a longer ride this morning, it was raining. As soon as it stops I'll run the heck out of it and see for sure.

Back