New dude from SLC

L

Lawrench

Greetings MBc forumites. I ran across your awesome forum while looking for a way to motorize my wife's bike. She had a heart transplant about 5 years ago, and although doing well, she doesn't have the strength or stamina that most of us should. (She had her txplnt at 29. So she's still in her prime.) I am hoping that a little help (motor) will allow her to take some nice long rides with me. We are still each others best friends after 8 years of marriage, so I don't ride as much as I used to because I'd rather do stuff with her.

After much lurkage here I am starting to have a fuzzy understanding of your lingo! I am even contemplating building one for myself to use as a commuter! (I struggle with that one, because my commute is 25 miles each way.)

One question I have is about where you can legally ride with the motor assist. We have some fantastic trails around here, and I know some of them are posted "No Motorized Vehicles", but how far can it be pushed? Is the occasional boost gonna get us a ticket?

:D

Welcome to MBc Lawrench, use the search option in MotoredBiking Laws & Legislation to help you.

Welcome man...if u need any help or info just ask.Everyone is pretty friendly around here so there's no reason to keep yourself in the dark.
BTW...about your question.....their are NO set rules about anything to do with these motorized pushbikes.Just keep as lower profile as u can and ya should be kewl.

Welcome to MBc. I dont know the view of LE where you live. IF you go blowing by walkers with an open muffler or run a trail at 30, then you bring things down on yourself. If you act civilized and respectful to others you share the trails with, I dont feel you will have any issues. As an asides, with your wifes conditions, the Americans with Disabilities act should cover her. And you HAVE to keep up with her, in case she has an episode. Again, welcome the the tribe and we all look forward in following your progress from the Giant Side of Texas!

Thanks everyone.

dbigkahuna- It's hard to convince anyone that she has any disability at all. She looks as healthy as most of us, and she's got stubborn pride that won't allow her to show a stranger the scar from her surgery- that and plain old humility.

I learned all about how Giant Texas was a few years back I drove from El Paso to my aunts home in northern Louisiana via Dallas. It took forever!!!!

Again thanks!

Back