New dude, typical questions! Epoxy?

2speedboi

Hey there,
been reading these forums for almost a year, last summer I found a bike bug kit almost new, and had a blast! I couldn’t help but do more research about friction drive and the new stuff is pretty cool, but lacks a little innovation. Not to knock the Stanton kits, they are SIMPLY.. Simple
... I really admire a good homemade kit more so. I’ve been working on my own, something built to last, real clutch action( no clutch bells and adjusting skewers) And a little extra

took it on some rough riding and had a blast! Who knew a Stihl 27.5 weed whipper would push me over 30! Waiting on some parts in the mail and I’ll post a thread for pictures when I’m finished.

When I had gotten the bike bug, I used radiator hose to replace the roller rubber that had rotted away. It works good, light pressure will have these last a good time, and cheap to replace and easy.

I’ve seen people doing sand papers and JB weld with and with out grits.

the solex roller looks like a heavy duty belt sanding sleeves. Or just granular pieces epoxied on?

thoughts? opinion? I want to hear more ideas!

and now that the weather is good more friction talk!

Attachments

BuzzardII

I have used sanding screen over a coat of JB, then more JB on top with a dusting of sand it has lasted well, and will shed water. I have two bike bug kits as well, looking to shed them, dont have the bike the fit .

2speedboi

Sifting Sand through screens?
I was thinking that some medium aquarium rock or smaller( I don’t know how THEY size it). The JB weld clear “plastic” epoxy seems pretty durable and advertises a good psi. I’m gunna try to make a 3/16 -/+ a bit in layers, trying for the sand paper look. Plus the plastic is clear and has a rubber compound finish? It make work well and have a lower wear due to being a solid forming composite. I’ll mess with mixing sand and applying layers or both.

2speedboi

Trying the job weld plastic and Diablo (Switzerland made) sanding belt #36.

I have a 5/8 shaft with locking collars and the glue and belt applied.

Zip ties seemed to give it a even pressure, while keeping the locking loop opposite of these seems, quick set 3000+ psi ratings.

First attempt at the sand belt!
IMG_20200519_110813762.jpg

2speedboi

The gear reduction is out the roof and had a top speed of 5! The main drive roller is a little over 1" 1/8. Gonna switch to a a 17 tooth, the 36 is so slow it's not even fun!

The fs55 stilh engine is pretty nice! The 27.5 cc is a nice engine, and is legal in Washington!